Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment >

M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Old 11-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: M.A.D. Buck Growl dissapointment

Well guys, if you go back and read the P.S. the beginn9ing poast of this thread, you will see where I made the joke that I was using a vacation day the next day to hunt all day and that I hoped to come back with a post saying to disregard this post because I brought a buck in on a string with it. Well, beleive it or not....... it happened.
I am totally serious. This is the first time I had any real time to get back on the computer since friday morning, but this is the honest truth.
I was in the stand good and early fri. morning. Right at first light I had 4 does and 2 yearlings feeding for a while out in the open feild out in front of me. They ended up leaving. About 8 am I looked to my right and saw a fawn walking parralell from me, then a doe behind her. I wanted to get them down around me just to get their scent down around my stand in case a buck did get around and was scent checking. So I hit my can call a few times and here they came. It took them a few minutesto get to me, but they were just straight out in front of me about 20 yards when all of a sudden the doe whipped her head up and looked past me behind me. I knew she saw someting.
Then I heard a deer running towards me and turned my head and saw a small doe just booking towards me. I could tell she was getting pushed pretty good. I was hoping it was a buck chasing her. She stopped at the edge of the woods and looked back where she came from. The she took off again, across the small open field and into the other section of woods. then I heard another deer coming, and heard that lovely errr, eerrrr, errr grunt sound behind her. I looked back and it was a pretty decent racked buck. Not a monster but a real nice solid raked deer with a real good sized body.
As he wascoming closer I deceided to try the Growl. Hr ran up and stopped right where she did and smelled where she went out into the field. Just as he was getting ready to head across the field, I got the Growl up and blew it. Man, he stopped and straightend right up and jerked his head around and looked in my direction. Thenhe looked back towards where she went, then back towards me. Suddenly the hair on his neck and back stood up, he layed hios ears back and puffed all up like they do, and he let out a reall long deep grunt. Not like thegrowl ( or roar for the Primos call owners), but just a long drawn out grunt. Then he started twisting his head around back and forth from side to side. I thought " Man he is agitated!!"
I blew the call agin and that was all he could take. He started right down to me, taking a perfect anglr right out in front of me. When he got behind a few trees I drew andput the pin on him and followed him. When he got in my shooting lane I grunted him and stopped him broadside at 14 yards. I put my Snyper tipped Gold Tip right through his lungs and into the ground behind him and watched him tip over at 39 yards.
It was really a cool hunt!!. Their is nodoubt in my mind that I never would have had a shot at him that day if it weren't for the Grwol. He intent on following that doe and I pulled him off of her with the Growl call. That don't happen to often. I know that if the doe would have come down in front of me I wouldn't have had to use the growl. But she didn't, and I did use it and it got me a really nice 9 pt. that was just a few #'s under 200 # field dressed.
Do I beleive that the Growl or Roar will work? Heck yes I do.
Do I think it will work all the time? Nope. It is like anything else. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
But I now am a believer that it can bring a buck in.
That brings me to the 2 brands of calls.
I am still concerened about the shortcomings that I and the others listed about the MAD growl call. Luckily for me I didn't have to blowit hard and turn it into a duck call, as it was a still morning and he was only about 70-80 yards when I called him with it.
I think for next season, I will be carrying the Primos Roar call out with me now that I know they will work. I have just read to many posts by guys that said that the Primos Roar won't do that like the MAD Growl. I have a $39.00 credit at Dicksso I belive that the Roar will be half of that.
I know that there are alot os skeptics out there on these calls. I am not one of them anymore. I know that it isn't a magic call that will pull every buck in to you, but I do know now that in the right situation on the right buck, it can be another weapon in the arsenal !
Sorry for such a long post.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Would it be proper etiquette to say, "I told you so"?[8D][8D][8D]

The best buck Growl or Roar I ever heard was the time I almost inhaled a Primos Deadly Double Deuce Diaphram turkey call.[8D]
Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Host of Hosts

Its amazing how we all fall for these "new invetions" all the time. I'm guilty of buying alot of stuff that I didn't need because of good marketing on the part of the manufacturers. Thanks for the post I think I'll pass on the new Buck Growl products. Thanks for saving me 20.00
Old 11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one. Like all calls, it has its shortcomings, and those have been covered nicely in this thread.

I'm not giving up on the call. I'll keep trying it until I see that it runs them off.

Hey, $20? If it works for the right buck at the right time, and that is precisely what it is designed to do... is it worth a measley $20?

I've hunted as much or maybe even more than the average guy and in my experience some calls are clearly superior to others. This one was made to fill a specific niche, unlike the average off-the-shelf grunt call.

Those who are willing to part with a 20 and experiment until they become proficient in field conditions may be handsomely rewarded.

Or not...and that's half the fun of trying new calls and bowhunting gadgets.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

I bought one earlier this year also.
I too am a little disapointed in it.
My picks on it
1 it doesn't sound anything like the "growls" they play that real deer are making in the DVD
2 no laynard? 20.00 and they can't include a piece of string? I had an extra one from an old grunt call I put on it.
3 Why would anyone make a call that is hard and not fully rubber coated? That thing clanks on anything it touches,especially the top portion of it.
4 That same top portion of it is shiney, who would make a deer call that shines?, I'm going to put camo duct tape on mine to quiet it and to make it dull.
5 I have yet to have any deer react to it
6 Can't blow it hard or loud without it turning into a duck call.

Just my opinions YMMV
Pretty much my opinion and experience with it also. Not even a response once from it.[&o]
Old 11-21-2006, 07:16 PM

I have the MAD call also and in addition to everything you guys mentioned I noticed mine freezes up a lot. So when you go to grunt nothing happens until it dries out a little.