Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattle bag

Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM

Default rattle bag

im new to bow hunting and new to this forum.
what do ya think of a rattle bag?
good ? bad?

thinks ia buck.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rattle bag

Ive used them with success. Ive also used real racks and artificial racks. All with equal results. I think the key is, the deer have to be responsive. If they are, either will work, if used correctly for the time of rut you are hunting.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh yea, welcome to the board.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 AM

Hey,
I personally don't like them, I think real antlers are the way to go. If that is all you got then I guess I would use them.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums ia buck

Rattle bags will work but if you can get some real antlers , they would be better .
I have a pair from a small eight point taken a couple years back , took the brow tines off and use them.
But to get back at your question most rattle bags have wooden dowles of diffrent size and shape to crerate the sound they make.
There are some bags out that have hard plastic and there are some very hard to find that have cheramic in them, the cheramicsounds real close to the real thing and the hard plastic sound better than the wooden ones.
So the choice is your to make , I rather use my shed antlers .
Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM

a friend and i decided to make our own rattle bag rather than buy another expensive article for hunting. we used pieces of an old oak picture frame placed in a large sock with a rubber band around it. i realize that this sounds patheticly cheap, but for a hunter on a budget, this bag sounds just as close to rattling horns as any bag on the market. no joke. you can experiment with different sizes, shapes, and types of wood for different sounds, and its free.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't rattle much and carrying around a set of noisey antlers just got to be too much of a pain in the butt for me so I picked up a set of HS Heavy Horns (rattle bag) this year. I really like the way it sounds, but again I've only used it a few times - maybe 5 tops - and haven't had any luck yet. Of course I rarely had luck with traditional rattling with real antlers either, so it's kind of a moot point.

The one thing I like is that it's small, easy to stick in my backpack so I'm never without it (just in case!), and it's quiet. I'm done with cranking antlers around when I'm climbing up, sitting in, or climbing down from my tree.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ia buck...howdy..hear tell they work..but aint nothin like the real thing
Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Banned

Hey IA buck and buddy.I have tried rattle bags, and a thing that primos sales called a buck board. Low to no success with them. Real antlers are the way to go. Use a motorcycle net to hold them, extra layered clothing, and whatever on your stand. Then use a pair of pruning shears and prune a little limb near you when up in your tree so that you can hand them on when not using them. I have rattled a ton of bucks in over the years and have the best results with 20-30 second session once every 45 min to an hour. Don't over due it or you may find a buck looking at you while you are rattling and blow it. Good luck this weekend buddy. BTW; that is a kick arse good looking 2007 Harley streetglide you bought!!!