Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING? >

GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

I have one of those leafy type outfits that I use for ground hunting. I've had good luck with it. Had a doe almost run me over the first time I wore it hunting. She ran up to me and slammed on the brakes at about 5 feet. She jumped back, ran a few yards , then stopped to see what the heck I was. By that time, I was drawn back and had my sight pin held tight behind the shoulder. It was an easy shot.

Got several other deer wearing it also. I did get busted a few times trying to draw or trying to slowly position myself. Sometimes its just hard to get drawn when they are close and you are on ground level. They probably caught a little of my scent and were extra cautious.

I do think one of those homemade Ghille suits would be much better, though.

The thing is a pain in the arse to walk in, if there are greenbriar or black berry briars around. The suit tends to get caught on everything. Have had a little trouble crossing barbed wire fences also.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Well moondance has a point, and natrual camo is the best way to go, any store bought ghillie is basically made for just one certain type of terrain, you can search far an wide, but you will almost never find the rite ghillie in order to hunt your favorite spot, hence making your own will be the best way to hunt with a ghillie, on the other hand, if you do not hunt from the ground very much, then i suggest you start out in a pop up blind and put some brush and what not up against it (not blocking your shooting zones) becasue people who dont hunt from the ground much tend to get figity, and you would be suprised how deer can see a small movement, they can get spooked very easily unless they live near high traffic areas, and yes seasoned deer will watch for any movement in the trees becasue they probably had a few close encounters with hunters that missed.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 PM

I've used a 3-D leafy suit for a while now and always found it effective. When my friends first saw me in the suit walking across theridge they called me sasquatch, but also noticed that when I stopped, I almost immediatly blended with my surroundings.

I looked into the guilly suits, and even thought about making my own modeled after some of the military styles I've seen. I think it would be great for shotgun, muzzleloader, and rifle hunting, but was concerned about the cloth hanging from the suit getting caught in mycompound bows mechanics during a shot. I would stilllike to make one someday since 90% of the hunting I do isspot and stalk.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they didn't work military snipers would not use them.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Unless I am in a blind (and then I wear all black) I am wearing a leafy suit of some type. I love how you disapear while wearing it. Birds land on my bow or rails of my stand all the time. Squirrels play at my feet. Last weekend I had a coon in the tree with me 4 feet behind my head hissing at me because he just couldnt figure out what my head was.

Don't don the leafy wear till you are at your stand. Once you wear some type of 3d camo you will never want to wear non 3d camo. The wildlife comes right up to you
Old 11-18-2006, 12:55 PM

hey guys just to let you know how effective a ghillie suit can be ..i will give you an example as a sniper myself with the corps we were on field missions doing stalk and hide tactics against friendly enemies.....actually we split up into different groups and played bad guys ....well to give you a short run down of the story it was my turn to exit the bird [helicopter] and start a patrol heading north well about half a mile into it and in some pretty open terrain i felt something hit my leg ....as i looked down guess what was in between my legs ....a 50 caliber sniper rifle and the sniper ...he said i got you and i just about crapped my pants ....i thought i was good ..i didnt even know he was there it was all due to the ghillie suit ..i nkow because i helped him make it the week earlier ...if they can fool a sniper i am sure i can fool a whitetail...however the only thing with a homemade military style ghillie is it is impossible to get the smell out of the burlap ihave tried everything but you can still smell burlap..thanks guys
Old 11-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

First deer that I ever shot at was on the ground. This is my first year of using a stand all season after 4 years of bow hunting. It is definately a different experience
Old 11-18-2006, 01:27 PM

I thought the TCS was very dark and the colors were pretty much the same. Anyone use one of these on the ground?

or

or

Leafywear:

Old 11-18-2006, 05:57 PM

Does anyone have a good link to a "make your own" style of guillie??
Old 11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

We really don't need those out here but i've considered getting one after reading some of these posts