Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5pt pics and story >

5pt pics and story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5pt pics and story

Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default 5pt pics and story

Took the week off of Nov. 6th- 12th, hadn't seen any pre-rut action until the 7th and then it exploded. I ended up seeing 10 different bucks on my time off, hear my first snort wheeze and seen alot of chasing. I didn't see anything real big (biggest was about a 14" 8pt which didn't stop running a doe so no shot).

The story: I heard something go into the thick brush before light and just after light I had a doe walk through, when she was about 20yds through a lane I heard him grunting. He must have bedded down not more than 30yds from me because the leaves were loud and from the first grunt I could hear him coming. I can't see real well through a pine and the thick brush so my first sighting is at 15yds, I decide I will shoot him if he gives me a shot. He walks into a lane at 13yds broadside with just his vitals showing from the pine tree blocking him, I draw settle the pin and touch the trigger. I hear tick followed by a thump.

I know I hit him, but I also know I hit a branch that I didn't see on the way. It starts to get lighter and I can see my arrow on the ground laying flat (strike one), I look closer and see that it appears to be slimey (strike two). This was at about 7:30, I climb down at10:30 and retrieve the arrow and see white hair on the ground (strike three, but not out). I confirm that I have a gut shot deer, but look ahead and see a decent blood trail where the deer ran.

I am now running the shot through my head as I didn't see where it hit the deer. I can't believe that good of a blood trail from a gut shot deer so I think it hit the liver and exited the guts. I then tell myself what I tell everyone else that wants to track to early "if it's dead now it will be dead later". I decide to back out quietly and come back at 2:00pm which will make it six and a half hours after the shot.

I go home call my buddy who says he'll use some vacation and come help me track. Me and my wife go to my sons school to help give his class their spelling tests and were back home at a little after 2:00. Me and my buddy hit the bloodtrail at about 2:45 and we both can't believe how good it is. We trail 50yds at a slow walk in about 5 minutes and the bloodtrail stops! We crawl on trails from last blood finding nothing and after about an hour of this I have a hunch he doubled back. I go back a litlte andseetwo pine trees about ten yds apartthat the power company trimmed branches offthat are piled up. I look at tree one and nothing start walking to tree two and get about six yds away and see something that looks like a deer hide, as I zero in I realize it is my buck and he is alive and looking right at me! I avoid eye contact and made a 90 degree turn.

I go back to my buddy and tell him, we decide he'll get a visual and I'll go get my bow for the final shot. He had to sneak to within 10yds to see the deer, the pics will show why. I get my bow and take a heart shot to finally get my deer nine and a half hours later.

Sorry its so long

Old 11-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5pt pics and story

another pic and the cave of brush where we found him, he was tucked all the way inside and you could only see him from the front.