Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Illinois non-resident archery question >

Illinois non-resident archery question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Illinois non-resident archery question

Old 11-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Illinois non-resident archery question

I can't navigate the Illinois DNR site very well, so I'm justgonna ask you guys.We are looking into possibly trying to hunt Illinois next year for archery season... wanted to know how much a non-resident archery tag is? Any extra costs involved for out of state hunters? It looks as though there might be a lottery? Any questions you could answer in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois non-resident archery question

There is a lotterey and I am thinking the deadline is somewhere towards the end of April. I dont have the exact cost because they went up last year, I am thinking it's around300.00 give or take, along with that you will need a hunting license which is like 25.00 for a 5 day and also a habitat stamp 5.50. Non-residents can buy doe only tags over the counter for 15.50anytime.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

save your money....i live in illinois and it is verry Good hunting over hear...but your not guaranteed anything....there are a lot of does and small bucks just like any other state...you have just as much chance at a trophy in indiana if you ask me...you just have to be out hunting as much as possible
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree unless you have friends or family that own's land in the golden triangle, then it's just getting lucky.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

tag is 387 plus 50 bucks for license and 5.50 for habitat stamp. there is a lottery but there was plenty of them this year. so everyone who applied got one. went there this year in late octoberand i am going back in december.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea illinois has 12 million people we also have alot of people that hunt...therefore you see alot of big bucks taken in illinois...what im trying to say is its not easy to get a trophy no matter where your at...there are just alot of people bow hunting in illinois lately so youll seem to see monsters being shot more often lately...when in reality if you added it up the ratio's are the same as other states as far as monster bucks/hunter
Old 11-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Myself, I am looking at hunting Indiana next year. Of course I can drive across state line and be at my family's land in 45 minutes. With a one buck limit Indiana should be producing some monster bucks.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Site Buck Guru

It cost me $434 to hunt Ill. this year. That is for the whole season. It is around $25 less if you get a 10 day liscense. Go figure, it costs them about $165 to hunt Wis.[:@]
Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 AM

I agree with what everyone has said about staying in Indiana, but my husband seems to have this annoying desire to go to all these different states to hunt. LOL I even said to him last night, what is wrong with Indiana, right where we are? We have land to hunt and there are some bruisers on it!

I guess he is afraid that we will be losing the land shortly, leaving us with no where but public land to hunt. In Indiana, especially Northern, there really isn't much public land available, and when you are on it, there are sooooo many other hunters it makes it nearly impossible. The land that borderswhere we have permission to hunt(80 acres) is up for sale, and I believe they will probably throw up a subdivision in there when it is finally sold... I guess he is trying to pursue other options NOW so we don't have to scamper around trying to figure it out when it happens, ya know?

Anyway, thank you for the responses, I thought that is how I understood it on the site, but it was really confusing!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Illinois Oct 25-30. (Golden Triangle - Adams county). There were 5 of us hunting for one week. I got a buck (avatar) but that was the only shooter I saw all week. I saw a few small bucks but not many. My dad didn't see a buck all week. My cousin saw a few small ones but no shooters. There were monster bucks on this property on video during the summer some bigger than 170".

The weather didn't cooperate much, and we were early for the rut so maybe that hurt us. Just keep in mind there are no guarantees. It's alot of money to spend. Think of it like this - you are paying for the POTENTIAL opportunity at a shot at a big one. There are definitely no guarantees.

I know people who have paid 4,000 to go to big Outfitters in Pike county and came home empty handed. It's still hunting. But at least you know there are big ones in the area. At home, I know the biggest thing I'll see is probably a 2.5 year old 8 point. That's the difference. You pay the moneyto know thata big one is POSSIBLE.

Withall that said, we are goingback in two years - during the RUT! The prices for licenses were something like 400 bucks all together.

Quick Reply: Illinois non-resident archery question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.