Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

poaching

Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default poaching

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=170509&A=11

nice to see some people caught but the bottom story makes me sick. look how many times this guy has been busted and doesnt pay his fines. so what should we do to him..........uugghh.........let suspend his hunting lisense and fine him again. there needs to be tougher laws poaching is going on all the time. i know people who do it but i cant seem to get them at a time when it could be proven easily but they are happy to show you the racks of deer they shot "bowhunting the other day" when they actually shoot them from the truck. they got busted once last year but theyre out doin it again and hunting without a lisense all the time. these types of people are almost always repeat offenders and why not when you can pretty much get away with it. there needs to be jail time and follow check on these people they ruin a lot of hunting for the law bidding people.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 AM

Default RE: poaching

I agree Brad. The laws don't have any teeth. A little jail time would curtail this action.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 AM

well not even that...i can't stand people that don't follow the states limits. Don't get me wrong, I have NO problem with someone taking a deer out of a herd that is cleary ill or has extremely bad genes that are affecting the herdand not tagging them. That is one thing, but someone who NEVER tags a deer is another. The land I USED to hunt (note the USED to) had a guy who about every time he he would leave the woods would have a doe in the bed of his truck. In my hometown every sunday they always put all the deer inpaper with who killed it and weight etc. andfor some odd reason his name just never showed up. lol musta been a printing errorhuh?lol anyways i confronted him. then this season the land owner calls me and tells me the individual leased the land and i am no longer allowed out there. funny huh? also here in indiana we have a one buck rule. the only exception is if you shoot one in an urban zone then u also still have a state buck to kill. i know some guys who will tag a buck urban even if there were no where near an urban zone just so they can shoot another....it gets kinda old
Old 11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

i just heard the other day one of those guys i talked about earlier shot a forked 4pt this year (antler restrictions are 3pts on one side here) on top of not having a lisesnse. i got them on my trail cam a few years ago durring a time there were no seasons in and there walking past looking ahead finger on the trigger of a 30/30. i asked them what they were doing and they said just out sighting in.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM

The judge needs to put them in jail. Why revoke their hunting privlages? They disregard the order anyway. The only way to keep them from hunting is to put them behind bars. Shooting deer at night with a 4 and 7 y.o. in the car is child endagerment.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:09 PM

I agree there needs to stricter punishments for poachers. I know the Game Warden from my county really well. He comes into the sheriffs office all the time and we get to talk often. There hasnt been any poachers caught here recently but we did have someone serve 10 days in jail for fishing without a license.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only one way to fix that, Mandatory Jail time for repeat offenders!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was suffering from cabin fever on Sunday and decided to do some scouting. While approaching the public hunting area here in southern Frederick County I say a buck lying along the road with only the antlers removed. He looked to be about 150 lbs. While continuing down a smaller country road I came upon the half butchered carcasses of three other deer. One was completely whole with only the head missing.

I am very proud to say that I do not know anyone who would do something like this. If I ever see someone dumping a deer that was killed only for the antlers I will be on the phone to the DNR. I just can't understand why people do this.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

From past experiences, I will never call the DNR on a poacher again with my reason explained. I hate poachers, I dont condone it, its unethical,and its a shame they arent more severly punished.

I caught 3 guys from PA obviously poaching in a park 2 years ago in Clarksburg MD Montgomery County. I was driving to work at 5 AM, saw a muzzle blast just off the road ahead of me, saw a spotlight go on and off. I pulled over and turned my lights off from the top of a hill where I had a good view even though it was dark. I saw flashlights in the field, saw and heard a second shot with a light on what looked like a deer. I finally saw the guys heading back towards the vehicle based on the flashlights repeatedly turning on and off in the direction of the vehicle.I pulled up to a truck parked on the side of the road with 2 guys dragging a big buck to the truck. I took the tag number, asked the guys what was going on, they said the deer was laying on the road dead and they we taking it. I asked why I saw a muzzle blast two times out in the field, why I saw a spotlight, why the deerhad2 bullet holes that still had steaming bloodcoming out. Anyway, I called the DNR catch a poacher number, reported it, followed the criminals to a construction site they were working at, but drove by and parked from a distance. I called the DNR again, told them were there truck was parked with the deer in the bed wrapped in a blue poly tarp. After calling the DNR several times throughout the day and no response, one of the phone receptionists told me since they didnt catch them in the act of illegally shooting the deer there was nothing they could do. That changed my whole prespective on even bothering with trying to catch paochers, at least in MD. I had caught them red handed, literally, and they did absolutely nothing. They will come out and check to see how many dove or ducks you shoot, but give them a case on a silver platter for poaching deer and turn the other way.