HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - poaching
Thread: poaching
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Diesel77
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poaching

From past experiences, I will never call the DNR on a poacher again with my reason explained. I hate poachers, I dont condone it, its unethical,and its a shame they arent more severly punished.

I caught 3 guys from PA obviously poaching in a park 2 years ago in Clarksburg MD Montgomery County. I was driving to work at 5 AM, saw a muzzle blast just off the road ahead of me, saw a spotlight go on and off. I pulled over and turned my lights off from the top of a hill where I had a good view even though it was dark. I saw flashlights in the field, saw and heard a second shot with a light on what looked like a deer. I finally saw the guys heading back towards the vehicle based on the flashlights repeatedly turning on and off in the direction of the vehicle.I pulled up to a truck parked on the side of the road with 2 guys dragging a big buck to the truck. I took the tag number, asked the guys what was going on, they said the deer was laying on the road dead and they we taking it. I asked why I saw a muzzle blast two times out in the field, why I saw a spotlight, why the deerhad2 bullet holes that still had steaming bloodcoming out. Anyway, I called the DNR catch a poacher number, reported it, followed the criminals to a construction site they were working at, but drove by and parked from a distance. I called the DNR again, told them were there truck was parked with the deer in the bed wrapped in a blue poly tarp. After calling the DNR several times throughout the day and no response, one of the phone receptionists told me since they didnt catch them in the act of illegally shooting the deer there was nothing they could do. That changed my whole prespective on even bothering with trying to catch paochers, at least in MD. I had caught them red handed, literally, and they did absolutely nothing. They will come out and check to see how many dove or ducks you shoot, but give them a case on a silver platter for poaching deer and turn the other way.