Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok...I need Help  Gut shot >

Ok...I need Help Gut shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok...I need Help Gut shot

Old 11-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Ok...I need Help Gut shot

So dont rail on me for this one.....I shot a buck tonight a little far back. I took the shot, 23 yards and hit a stick. The forker was broadside, and it hit back like half way between ribs and the back hip bone. I shot him about an hour and a halfago and went to find where i shot it. When he ran away i could see the arrow in him I watched him and he never went down as i could see.I waited for about 45min andI wentto where he wasand no blood,just deep tracks. I marked that and the spoti last saw him. He was pretty un easy ashe left, and did not run.

I am waitin till sun up cause i know it was not the best hit. ThisWILLbe my first buck/deer with abow and only my 2 buck ever.

Anywaysfewquestions....1. Is it bad to not see blood at impact spot?

2. Is the arrowstill in the deer a bad thing or will as it runs do more damage?

Thanks for your help....Will let ya know in the morning
Pines
Old 11-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Default RE: Ok...I need Help

How much penetration did you get with that arrow? usually when you shoot a deer with a bow, you will not always find blood right away.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 PM

ITs a 29 in arrow and it looked about 1/2 way in
Pines

Do Most of deer hit in guts die?

Pines

Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

I am not an expert on this. I would think with a pass through you maybe could of got some info off the arrow. You said half way between the ribs and the back hip bone. How low was the hit? Did you get good penitration?Maybe its possible you caught the liver and isn't bleeding that much because the arrow stayed in him? Was he hunched over after the shot or just take off? It seems they usually get the arrow out soon after they are hit. By rubbing in in a tree ormaybe biting it out.it I would think if you can follow those tracks, you may find your arrow.If you find the arrow check for blood. If there is a green stuff on it you probably hit the stomach. If he got it out then maybe there is a blood trail. As long as you didn't push him I think you maybe alright. Sorry not much help! Hopefully you can find that first deer!!

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

wait till morning. your on the right track!! with a gutshot theres not going to be much blood to follow. if you snuck out of there good he will probably have bedded within 250yds or so of the shot and will die by the morning. thats what like 12-14hrs..almost no chance of him being alive with a guthit after that long. the arrow in him also clogs the holes even more..stopping what little blood there might have been. dont worry. the arrow in there could help...as its in there its moving around and tearing things up worse. exspecially if theres a broadhead in him. even if it came out the other side the arrow is still bound to hit stuff and tear things up worse for him. wait till morning. id go an hour after first light. when the sun is up and you can see so long temps arent anything to worry about. its been cold here in PA..i wouldnt worry but you could be in TX or somewhere i dont know. get out there and try to pick up the track. try following the kicked up leaves etc. if you cant pick it up walk in the direction you last seen him and walk straight on from there for a while see if you cant find him or pick up a trail. if not go back to where you last seen him and start circles. start small and get bigger looking for the trail. if you cant find the trail its time to start gridding and looking for the trail or the deer. pick areas and grid it..leave no leaf unturned. get a group of buddys and have them grid with you. cover every little inch as far as you can..if that fails head downhill and towards water..search ALL the water sources. if that fails search every last thicket again..you should already gridded them once but get in there and search hard. a deer that falls behind a downed tree or in a depression etc can be hard to spot at times. walk all the deer trails...search till you are confident he is STILL ALIVE. a gutshot hit deer will usually bed close by if he wasnt spooked by you or anything else. and WILL die.

best of luck....read the deer recovery thread at the top tonight while you cant sleep...keep it fresh in your mind..alot of good advice in there..good luck! take good pics we want to see him!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 PM

sounds to me like plenty penetration to kill the deer. it just might take it a while to expire. good luck finding him in the morning!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser06 pretty much covered it.

A gut shot deer is a dead deer.

They usually don't go that far after being hit. If left alone, they usually bed down quickly. They will get up and bed again, and so on and so on.

From the sounds of your story, the deer didn't really run. This is a good sign. He may bed down sooner, making the tracking job shorter.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

If you didn't get a pass through with a gut shot, your broadhead may of lodged in the opposite hip or shoulder, depending on what angle he was standing on. Don't know what your setup is, but you should of got a pass through with a gut shot at that range. Are you sure he was perfectly broadside?

You want to find that arrow if you can. And pay attention to the blood trail and see if you can find beds. Gut shot deer will often bed down early, then move and bed a few times before expiring if they weren't disturbed. They will often head for water, since they are sick with stomach fluids leaking into their body/bloodstream. They will often try to crawl into some cover also, so keep a keen eye.

2 bad things to pay attention to:If he gets on a deer trail and doesn't bed down, AND/OR heads uphill, your in for a rough time. A dying deer usually won't follow a deer trail for very long, or attempt a hill climb.

Keep us posted dude!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

well teammate,

I wouldnt have even went and looked at the arrow.More than likely it is a dead deer, but the problem is no blood trail.So id give it a good direct search and then start circles and then if that fails do a grid.Now that im typing this I relized im just repeating mauser [8D]. Hope ya find him we need some points!!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

mauser did you ever find your buck or see him again?