Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funny Deer Story (Brief Nudity) >

Funny Deer Story (Brief Nudity)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funny Deer Story (Brief Nudity)

Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funny Deer Story (Brief Nudity)

DARWIN AWARD OF THE YEAR RIGHT THERE!!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey....I mean NO disrespect by my question....and, ultimately....I'm showing you the respect of many years of experience.....when I ask....

Did you not feel that the second shot was fatal.....and, if so, was it a good idea to get on her trail so quickly???

NOW....I FULLY trust that you know what you're doing. I mean that. When I went over the scenario of shooting my first buck with my friend.....I was willing to wait it out a couple of more hours. He said "go get your deer. He's dead". I trusted him....and he was right. You obviously got on the trail for a reason.....and I'm just trying to learn something. Honestly.

This is one of the most captivating recovery stories (with a comedic twist) I've ever read. thanks for sharing it with us.

jeff
Old 11-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

thats funny nice recovery.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 AM

Great story, good job on the recovery, and congratulations.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:18 AM

great story lmao but in the end nice doe
Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

That's a funny story man, the deer had no antlers, but you've shown you possess quite the spread.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too funny!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Did you not feel that the second shot was fatal.....and, if so, was it a good idea to get on her trail so quickly???
The second shot punched in just behind the lungs. I felt I had a good chance of actually hitting lungs (Which I did)... much less the liver. I gave the deer long enough to bed down before I started on the trail, then still hunted very slowly to make sure I didn't jump her too quickly. Another apsect to this SPECIFIC deer retrieval was a buck fawn, he was there through this whole thing and when I stuck the doe I knew he would help me find her. When tracking deer like this one I like to keep an eye and ear peeled for that fawn to snort/stomp or run away. As you approach, they will flea long before the wounded deer begins to thrash around! That's when you know your close.

The way this woods laid I had no problem with pushing the wounded deer a little bit... hunting alone, I wanted to get the truck as close as possible and she had a 75% chance of running into the open in the event she did jump up. In the wrong situation it literally could've taken me 3-4 hours to get her to the truck... possibly resulting in spoilage.

In fact, she didn't jump up as I approached her... she was too far gone. BUT: Suprisingly when I shot her (Third time) she was able to crash off in a horrible direction... only going about 150 yards to the swamp. I should've backed up 10 yards and made an excellent shot- but I let myself get flustered and pumped an innacurate arrow in her from 48".

Another thing I did on this deer that I wouldn't others is the follow up immediately after that final shot. I difinately pushed her there... but for a purpose. I knew she went in a bad direction and it was going to be too dark and too far for me to find her and drag her out. I wanted to pinpoint her last where-abouts and go get some help. For this reason I wanted to push her! Keeping her on her feet meant she would bleed out or stay mobile for a bit longer. The benefit to that was covering my 2.5 hour round trip to retrieve help... if she had died immediately after that final shot I needed to know so I could dress her out. Otherwise she'd be fine in the 60° weather until we got back. It turned out perfectly because the cold water had chilled her body temperature all the way down by the time I got there... she was about 45° when I got her to the house and put her in the walk-in. Perfect for some venison steaks, she's ready to be carved on today actually.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

thats one of the funniest things I've ever heard anyone do for a deer...haha...you'll enjoy that one for a long while.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Site Buck Guru

That is some funny ----!Iwent along on a retrievel where my buddy went in for another buddies deer. It was 29F out! He's in his underwear.

Quick Reply: Funny Deer Story (Brief Nudity)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.