Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Midwest Rut

Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Spike

Default RE: Midwest Rut

I hunt in NW Wisconsin, about 1 1/2 hours north east of the Twin Cities. I have had the good fortune to be in the woods quite a bit lately. Over the last week, rub and scrape activity has really kicked off. We are seeing some monster rubs, and we are very lucky to be in an area where 150 - 180 class bucks can be taken. However, my experience and that of others is that the big boys are not moving yet. Not sure why. I was in the woods for almost all of yesterday and saw 5 bucks. 4 were 1 1/2 year olds, and one was a nice 3 1/2.(I almost had a shot!). The young ones seem to be rutted up and a little less jumpy, however, the older buck did not seem like he was rutting. Hopefully things will start to ratchet up now.

Other hunters in our area are saying the same thing - lots of sign, but not as much movement as you would expect.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM

10/29/06 Hunted Morgan Co. and had a small 8 crusing a ridge,Nose too the ground and when he hit my drag,it fired him up Doe pee, About 45 minutes later had a doe walking around solo and from the top of the ridge a real brusier caught sight of her and started to chase her, she did'nt want anything to do him and ran off he stood there watching and then he started to feed on accorns, I think the boys are ready but the girls arent, but this is a great time too stay on stand as long as possible, Iam on Vacation after my shift(24), and plan too be hunting hard?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM

dave22 I just was wondering morgan county what state. I hunt morgan co. IL and was just wondering if it is the same as you.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM

It's supposed to peak around the 6th and 7th. But the temps are going to be pushing 70 in Northern IL. I wonder what affect it will have.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Spike

28 degrees this morning in will county IL. At 0700 I saw a nice 8pointer trailing 3 does, 2 of the does were yearlings, they still had some spots I don't think that buck cared much!

Good Luck!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would say it is about to hit any day now here in Central Illinois. I saw 5 bucks today and 5 does. They are all moving and I even saw a decent 8 pointer chasing a doe. She was resisting a little though.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Southern Indiana
Seen some bucks that looked like they were on a mission and i have heard quite a bit of grunting, but am yet to see any with does yet. im usualy seeing some with does by now but not this season. seeing alot of scrapes and have seen alot of rubs and most are big rubs.
Dan
Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

anyone in Illinois using doe estrus yet? Or still using doe pee? Estrus bleats or just doe bleats?

I have been out the last three nights, first two afternoons in that cold crappy wind andtoday wasn't to bad. Haven't seen anything. A week ago or so I had seen several does and a nice buck.....I have always had wind in my favor. I have been using estrus on a drag to stand. some rattling and estrus bleats. Didn't know if that would effect them (to early?)....I wouldn't think so being this close to rut.

Thanks craig
Old 11-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

NW Illinois-This morning heard deer coming through woods but to far away to get a shot. When i was leaving ifound fress rubs and scrapes. Up untill this week end there where no sighs of bucks in my woods.Getting ready to head back out and find that tree shreader.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM

SW Iowa- Today i finally saw the thing that tells me its primetime..... the first doe in heat ive seen all year. she passed 75 yards from my stand and well about 2 minutes later their was a bruiser 12 pointon her tail I couldnt get him to come in for the life of me but you can bet with her bein in that draw ill be their again tonight ...