Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How thouroughly do you process your deer

Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default How thouroughly do you process your deer

There is an oriental lady at work that will eat anything, and I mean anything. I'll rummage through my gutpile to pluck the apple and if it's a fairly young deer, I'll take at least half if not all the liver. That's it...she asks me all the time to save intestines, tongues, testiclesand other stuff that I leave for the yotes. I won't drag any of that crap home. Anyone eat anything off a deer that a regular ole Joe would leave in the woods?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How thouroughly do you process your deer

Nope. [:'(]

Traditionaly, most Americans do not eat anything other than the meat, while most Asians and Europeans eat the other parts that we won't. I imagine, it's all about the way you're raised.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Typically, I quarter the deer and then take backstraps...this way is fast and avoids fieldressing..if you look at it, there isnt alot of meat on a deer....
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
dws

You haven't lived if you haven't eaten buck tongue and testicles and eyeballs lightly breaded and fried in intestinal sauce. Just kidding, I do always keep the liver, I love that fried with onions. Ever wonder what kind of meat that really is that you get on a stick at a chinese restaurant?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

she eats the testicles [:'(]I thought i heard it all i guess i was wrong
Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

some people will eat anything
Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 AM

I had a grandpa that used to pull out the brain and the tounge. ICK was what I always thought. But I guess that is what they make headcheese out of. He was old school and used to eat stuff like blood sausage and stuff.....
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: schlich92

I had a grandpa that used to pull out the brain and the tounge. ICK was what I always thought. But I guess that is what they make headcheese out of. He was old school and used to eat stuff like blood sausage and stuff.....
That is an old South Dakota tradition as well. Too bad that tradition died when my dad started deer hunting.....

My grandma still talks about all that gross stuff every deer season, I always tell her if she wants it, she can go an get it! LOL
Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 AM

My wife is first generation Korean, but she immigrated when she was a teenager and did 28 years in the USAFso she's not much on cooking....but her mother and some of her girlfirends are a different story. They'll eat the liver, heart, and kidneys, but none of the other internal organs.....but I'm big on the liver and heart myself. They would take everything else if I would let them, they take all the bones and boil them for hours to make some kind of soup base......but I won't let them have the head and backbone because of CWD and have had more than one argument over that.......I have to leave the hoofs on the quarters because there's something special about useing those and the joints tomake some kind of soup. They also use the ribs, something I've neverbothered with......and use antlers (if I'll give them up) to make somekind of tea. .........and when I got a bear last year you should have seen theexcitement over the gall bladder.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with CS7150. Four quarters and backstraps only. No gutting required.

Quick Reply: How thouroughly do you process your deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.