Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your opinion please >

Your opinion please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion please

Old 10-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your opinion please

A Buddie of mine shot a doe the other night.....He hit her high, above the first lung..But she kind of spun around and he saw where his arrow came out, and itwas well into the second lung. She stood their a little while then just slowly walked away. By the time he got another arrow ready she was walking straight away from him.

Would you have shot her again right in the rear?
Would you let her walk and hope you got a good enough hit?

Well the good news is we did find her around 450 yards from the shot. And no he didn't push her.

I think I would have been tempted to shoot her again!
How about you?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your opinion please

Was he in a tree or on the ground?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Was he in a tree or on the ground?
Ladder stand!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:21 AM

Well , people may disagree with me, but this is what I think.

If I have already shot at adeer, and I connected with what I believe was a good shot, then if I am given a chance to put a second arrow into the deer then I should. I don't care where I put it. Wheather it is heart, lung or butt. I am trying to produce maximum hemmorage and blood trail from the deer. I have already wounded it, so I have a responsibility to do all I can to dispatch the animal as quickly as possible.

Now , does that mean I am going to gut shot the deer if I can on the second shot? Not if I can help it... But I do not see anything wrong with a rear end shotif the deer is already hit good on the first shot. And if I could, this is one scenario where I would take a neck shot as a 2nd shot if available.

And if I could I would take a 3rd shot. I just want the animal down for the count, after that 1st shot.

Good Hunting and God Bless.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, i have never had it happen to me, but once that first shot is in the deer, i would keep shooting as much as possible to increase the odds of a quick and speedy recovery.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have never had a deer give a chance for a second shot. I don't know if I would even think about. I am usally so intent on watching that deer afterI shoot that I am not sure it would come to mind. I try to stay as still as possible after the shot and just watch the deer. I think I probably would try if I would think about it.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

My piebald was spined on the first shot. I watched it drag itself 5 yds and heard it cry out. I stuckthe secondarrow through the heart/lungs area.....and watched it take its' last breath within 45 seconds.

If I could have ended it, sooner.....I would have.

I take NO PLEASURE in killing an animal.What I've learned so far has probably made me a more ethical hunter.I know to make a good first shot. I know that the faster that animal expires ......the better. If I knew the first shot was fatal......even eventually......and I have a chance to stick aother arrow ANYWHERE........I may get flamed.....but I'm sending anotherarrow down range.

jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Mike and Jeff and I always send another arrow if offered the opportunity. Like Jeff's, my buck dropped and was spined as well, I quickly followed it up with a shot that sliced the heart even tho the only shot I had was straight into the belly/chest of the deer. It was on it's side, flaring it's legs. That second shot quickly dispatched the deer.

On the thread in question, I would have sent a second arrow into that doe, trying to enter into the body cavity. I'm glad to read you recovered her.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would try again