Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why bait?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why bait?

I always get amused at these types of topics. If you choose not to bait and it's illegal where you hunt why do you care how others hunt?

I also find it funny how some people frown upon baiting, but will plant an acre or half acre food plot and hang a stand over it.[&:] Do you think there is a difference in using a corn feeder vs a food plot?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

Again, not trying to make anyone mad, I gave my opinion and just looking for others'?
What kind of bow do you use?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

Again, not trying to make anyone mad, I gave my opinion and just looking for others'?
I don't know how you are NOT going to make people mad by saying things like;

What is it about baiting that makes people think they're hunting?
First of all I do not bait, it's illegal in my state and I wouldn't do it even if it was. Secondly who are you to decide what the definition of hunting is? The reason I ask this is because of your quote above. You've assumed that because people are baiting, then they have to justify why they do it. Why? What makes you think that by using camo or a gun that YOU are hunting? It's a relative, if it's legal and you are comfortable with it, then do it - if not, don't. But don't question any elses tactics if they aren't doing anything illegal.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:28 AM

I think there should be a classified difference between hunting OVER a bait pile, and hunting WITH a bait pile.

I personally would not choose to hunt over one, it would just take the thrill of the chase out for me, but if it is legal, than it is a non-issue for someone else who does. Animals were put on this earth for us to eat, so if we live trap them, "trick" them, whatever, at least it's dinnertime.

What is the difference between baiting a deer and baiting a fish hook? Wouldn't it be the same concept? If you are against baiting a deer, shouldn't you be against throwing a baited hook into the water? Shouldn't you just set the hook out and hope a fish ended up on the other end of it? Just a question, but I just wondered if there is really much difference in that? How about dove hunting. Most dove hunters I know (including myself) sit in the midst of dried up sunflower rows, perhaps they should just sit in the middle of the road.

Everyone is entitled to their own means of legal hunting, you will never find someone who agrees with 100% of what you agree with. As we all become veterens of outdoor sporting, we all learn what works for us.

Like someone already posted, perhaps they have a feeder set up on one side of the woods, 300 yards away from their stand, simply to keep the deer in the area. Here in Indiana, we rarely have to worry about it because we almost always have beans or corn within eyeshot of any wooded area! LOL

It's a personal preference thing, I wouldn't hunt over a bait pile, but I don't know the circumstances regarding another hunter, so I really have no right to judge what works for him... perhaps he works 3 jobs and can only hunt once or twice a year, it happens. It sure would make life a lot easier for him if he could fill the freezer on one of those occassions.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think it is your opinion that people will have a problem with. It may be the way you presented yourself in the post. You say you don't mean any disrespect but you have me fooled.

I do not bait but I would never judge someone who did. It is there style of hunting ( yes I said hunting) that they chose. I have planted corn and soy beans in my fields. Does that make me a poor hunter because I hunt these areas? Some hunters also don't have the time that others do. If they are only able to hunt weekends or a couple of days a month it may allow them a better chance. I am sure they have there reason. Try not to look down on others. It may not be long before someone offends you about taking a pic of a deer on the back of a trailer. Some would say it is disrespectful. But I am sure you have your reason.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

This
No offense to anyone who feels strongly about baiting
does not equal

why youstill classify yourself as a hunter? Anyone can pick up a bow/gun and shoot at something over bait
Never baited and never will but don't even try and say you didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest.

It's illegal to bait here in IN, and should be thatway for every state. Maybe certain laws like this is why PETA is trying to ban hunting, bcsomehunters aren't hunting.
We still live in a Democracy that is strong on states rights.Your ignorant about PETA and what they think about any type of hunting. They don't even want us to own pets.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bait and im not affraid to say it either! If you were smart you woulda just went and looked it up instead of bring a different thread up. And baiting is almost the same thing as hunting over a food plot. If you say more deer come to the bait thats wrong. More deer come to the fields most of the time. I hunted over bait ever since i started hunting and its just as hard as hunting over a field if not harder. When you hunt over a field all you have to do is find a runway and put a stand up. When you bait you cant just throw a stand up and just sit you have to find where the deer are. Just my 2 cents. But next time think before you post!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM

During the early season I will set up a couple home made feeders in the middle of a couple of fields and I have a game cam on them. I do it just to see what is in the area so I can make a better choice on the buck I choose to harvest. I have never hunted over bait in the woods but if I was hunting some where I couldn't get close and kept seeing deer and they changed their path alot I would put something down to help me get a shot. I see no problem with it. Guys who can get close every time without a little help from baits calls scents ect... good for you but if a hunter needs a little help why not?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bait works! Would you stick your hook in the water with out a worm? I dont think so. Baiting/feeding not only gives the deer a better survival rate but is one of the best management tools there is when it comes todeer hunting. Do you hunt over a food plot or a10 acre cornfield. That as well is concideredbaiting. IDont place out much bait at all I hunt over the corn fields. Theres no difference in the two. This thread has been beaten over and over seems year after year and all it does is heat things up. I bait, just because the next guy doesnt or is against it, hey thats his decision. If its legal who really cares? Everyone hunts they he or she wants to do so.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Why bait? Why not, if you can and you plan on eating the deer you shoot? Farmers put cattle on corn a few months before the slaughter house to fatten up and sweeten the meat. You wouldn't like eating a cow thats only been grazing in the field.

If and when I bait, I hunt right on top of the pile. I'm doing it to kill deer for processing for my own. I kill deer in the woods only to kill deer. I give pretty much all away unless it's a bambi. Those I may keep as my own but haven't in years.

This all may sound harsh, but in my eyes deer are big rats. They eat all my landscaping, carry a bunch of diseases and/or parasitesand are a threat to humans with the population out of control. For those who think PETA can make hunting illeagal, PETA just got rocked today. Experts believe the E-coli out break in spinach was cause by wild hogs. Looks like someone needs to hunt them more in Ca.

Quick Reply: Why bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.