Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Only Young Bucks ??? >

Only Young Bucks ???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Only Young Bucks ???

Old 10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Only Young Bucks ???

I have been hunting the same 20 acres for the past four years. The past years have been pretty good. I have seen a good amount deer.It is pretty typicalfor me to see only young bucks early like this,but usuallyI have some descent bucks on camera.

This yearhas been different though. I have seen a few little bucks hunting, but my camera also onlyhas little bucks on it. I haven'tseen oneeven close to a shooter yet. All the sign around the area is fromyoung bucks (small sapplings, small tracks). I don't know whatthe deal is.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips of what could be going on this year,or anything I should try. The niehboring land has just been sold,so my options are limited. Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Only Young Bucks ???

I hate to say this, but I think it needs saying.......

Maybe they ARE there.....and you're just not seeing them????

I KNOW my land holds some good sized bucks. I've seen one since the season began. I think they get a HINT of pressure and avoid my areas. I'm limited as to where I can go......and I guess they've patterned ME to an extent.

A good friend told me he's never heard of a hunting spot being UNDERhunted. It's taken me a while to learn he's right. My 2 bowkills from this year were from the first time I hunted a stand. I now have the luxury of moving around a bit.....and I hope you do, too.

Just my .02

Jeff
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Only Young Bucks ???

I have three stands on this property, two of them I have only hunted once, and the other one I have hunted twice. So I don't think I'm over hunting it. I guess I will just hang tight, the rut is heating up here. November 6 is the rutting moon (second full moon after the autumn equinox), so things should start to peak around November 3rd and carry through the 20th.