Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Hey you young bucks (and does) >

Hey you young bucks (and does)

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Hey you young bucks (and does)

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hey you young bucks (and does)

My son is 6 and by our way of life he has been involved with hunting and fishing since he was born. He's been going hunting with me since he was 3 and will probably take his first deer this year. He's got his first squirrel under his belt and first dove.

My question is this to you young guys/gals:

Did you have a mentor as far as hunting/fishing goes? If so who was it?
If not, if you DID have one how would effect you today?

Thanks.

The reason I'm asking is this: http://tfdc.bravehost.com

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Hey you young bucks (and does)

I know i had a mentor and that was my dad and the rest of my family. I grew up around hunting and fishing and took to it like a fly does to poop. When i was younger and my dad went duck hunting if he didnt take me i would give him the silent treatment for days untill he took me out again and the same was for fishing. Now thanks to him i basically live and breath hunting and fishing and i have no regrets at all.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have no regrets at all.
I bet your dad doesn't either. Great reply. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a mentor which was my grandpa and dad. I live in a hunting family and agree with hunting at an early age. I am going to say, in my opinion, that six is too young to take a deer. I harvested my first at age 9 and I will tell you, I was barely ready then. If you think your son is ready, get him out there and good luck!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM

My dad.

He's been taking me hunting and fishing since I was four months old. I've grown up walking in his footsteps and the older I get the more he seems to have to teach me. He's been my best friend and hunting partner since before I can remember.

I skipped sports in high school because I knew it would cut into the time I got to spend in the outdoors with my dad. I wouldn'tgo back and change that if I could.

I owe everything to him. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher and mentor. My only hope is that I'll be able to do the same thing for my kids.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:47 PM

well for me it was really my Grandpa that got me into the outdoors, my dad helped a little but didnt push me, which i think is important... not to force it... but also my cousin Rex. I always would see him back in the woods and i loved talking to him. it was his comradery that drew me more into the woods.
another big factor, idk if u are a fan of his or not, but Ted Nugent did a lot for me. I guarantee had it not been for Ted i probably would not be nearly as avid of a hunter as i am now. i dont agree with using bait like him or in fences in most places like he does, but something about him helped me get pumped about hunting. thats just my 10 cents.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am going to say, in my opinion, that six is too young to take a deer.
Well it's up to him. We have been practicing for about a year now and he can aim a youth model .243 and pull the trigger. He's got a good group at 40yds. I brace the gun for him and he wears hearing protection.
We'll see, if not he'll get one in the future. I really don't care when or if he gets one as long as he's happy.

I skipped sports in high school because I knew it would cut into the time I got to spend in the outdoors with my dad
Hey great story and pics wash!!
When I was in high school, school started back around the first of September and bow season didn't start until the middle of September. If you were working on a tobacco farm back then, you didn't have to start school until the first school day in October, so I always helped on a tobacco farm but was usually *sick* the opening day of bow season!

idk if u are a fan of his or not, but Ted Nugent did a lot for me.
I'm not, but I'm not here to knock anyone or anything.
I agree with your dad 110%, not to force any of my beliefs/opinions on anyone.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

My dad took me fishing but most of the stuff ive learned about hunting is from my cousin and uncle because they hunt more then my dad but as far as i know my dad plans to hunt more this year
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Grandpa. Dad was too busy usually, and really didn't do that much outdoors. Grandpa...idunno, just the name kinda sums it up for me. I remember coon hunting (he was HUGE coon hunter, and had even made a lil bit of a name for himself in our parts) squirrel, deer hunting and fishing (cats and bluegills only) with him. Some of his techniques were unconventional but its what he had to do, he couldn't walk very well. He was a big turkey hunter as well but his health left him before I was old enough to do that with him. I've not coon hunted in years, but I'll probably have at least a few dogs in my life once I'm done with college...if for no other reason that to try and relive some of those priceless memories.

Yeah...Grandpa (BTW, he was always whistleing "On the Wings of A Snow-white Dove"...never knew it 'til they played it at his funeral. Kinda one of those "Hey!!! THAT'S what he was always whistleing" moments)
Old 10-09-2006, 08:05 PM

definatly my dad he helps me with everything i do that involves hunting

last year i got my first deer without him by my side it was definatly different

Quick Reply: Hey you young bucks (and does)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.