Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening day success >

Opening day success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening day success

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening day success

Opening day for archery season in WV was 10/14. I had to go atit alone this year since both my Dad and Brother have had some medical problems. MY dad had to have a total knee replacement which included a severe infection and my Brother appendix ruptured causing him 7 days in the hospital.

Just getting to go to my camp was bitter sweet since my two favorite hunting buddies were not with me. Opening day came and is was cold for mid Oct. The temps were in the 30's when I woke up and I don't think they ever got above 45 all day. The wind blew all day long and by 11:30 AM I had not seen a thing. I decided to get down , eat a bite and make a few phone calls. I was back in the stand at 1:00 PM and prepared to sit until dark. As the wind roared all afternoon I had to keep my eyes open for movement. At about 4:45 PM I noticed movement off to my right. The deer appeared and was moving quickly toward me from about 60 yards. I quickly grabbed my bow and got into position. I could tell by the deer's behavior that he was not in my area to munch on the acorns or sniff for does. He was moving and has actually sneaking! As he entered my shooting lane at 23 yards, I was at full draw and ready. My pin settled a little far back as he was slightly quartering away and I let it fly. The sound of the aarow hitting the rib cage and passing completely through told me the hit was a good one. The buck bound off as a watched him disappear in the fingers that ran below me toward the drain. I waited about 30 minutes, composed myself and got out of my stand. Blood covered the aarow and the trail was not hard to follow. He went about 50 yards.

Here is pic. It's a little fuzzy.....sorry. Agian it was a little bitter sweet. I was excited to have been successful, but it just was not the same without my hunting buddies with me!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening day success

Congratulations!! Nice buck!

I hope your dad and brother are okay.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your buck! Sorry you had to hunt without your partners!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck. Sorry about not getting to hunt with the guys. Make sure to fix up some back straps for them. That will get them feeling better!