Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Opening day success

Old 11-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening day success

I got another beaver on the first day I checked my traps.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Opening day success

Good job on the beaver SPIKEHORN I wish I could say the same,Iam usually pretty good at catching the fox and coon but I have been trying to catch a Beaver on my rat line for a week now every morning its the same thing sprung traps. I am almost ready to give up on them. Its more of a personal thing now. What type of sets are you using? Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. I think I just need to buy some 330 conibears I have been using my #2 coyote traps on drowning rigs but my trap placement hasnt even been close.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would sat 330's are the way to do. I find funnel points or channels and set there. I don't like to use too many sticks to block it off cause I believe too much scares them away.

On footholds I like to take a mound of dirt or something to make the beaver step over it into the trap. Also with a #2 you want to catch them in the front foot. I also had my foothold set off today. It took it half way down the line and then got out some how. I used kishel's soft catch on a trail set. I remade the set and hope to have him tomorrow.

Good luck!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 PM

congrats on the bevage spike, nice lookin peice of tail. As for the leg hold drown sets i agree 330's are way better. You will catch 10 in a 330 compared to every sprung leg hold.