Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trespassers ruined my hunt! >

Trespassers ruined my hunt!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trespassers ruined my hunt!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Trespassers ruined my hunt!

Last night about 1/2 an hour before sunset I heard a 4 wheeler. I thought it might be my brother in law getting out to hunt a little late. Well, it kept getting closer and Tom knew I would be hunting plus he would have seen my truck on the way in. It couldn't be him. There is too much mutual respect between us. I thought, maybe the land owner checking his cattle. But he always uses his truck.
About that time I see a big yellow ATV that I have never seen before. He drove out into the pasture and headed away from me. He had no visible weapons but did have a large brindle pit bull running along side him. I think he may have been scouting for hogs or perhaps hunting them. I got down and tried to catch up to him but could not.
On my way out I stopped to speak to the land owner and he told me the guy is definitly trespassing. He gave me permission to put new chains and locks on all the gates as long as I give him a key. This land is clearly posted. There is no doubt about it at any point on the property lines.
That just frosts my butt! Ruined my hunt last night and I'll be spending more time trying to secure the property, not to mention the cost of chain & locks. I will try to get pics of this guy with a trail cam when I find out where he is getting in.
Sorry about the long post. I just had to vent!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trespassers ruined my hunt!

I know how you feel and it certainly is frustrating. I was walking to my stand one time during gun season with stand on my back and I jumped a buck that was one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen. Awide, massive10-point that was bedded about 30 yards behind the barn. Anyway, as I neared my stand I saw something strange which ended up being a tresspassing kid gun hunting my family's farm. So, anyway he didn't see the buck but I do not know what I would have done had that buck run by him and he shot it. My head probably would have exploded.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 AM

txrookie,

Do ya think the land owner would allow the mounting of some motion sensing .50 cal guns around the perimeter???? I bet we could stop the tresspassing then...... and wouldn't ya just love to see the look on that guys face the last time when he says, OOPS!

Well a guy can dream can't he.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

No offense but, you ruined your hunt. Even though this guy came through, I've seen many deer follow after an intruder. I hunt where I have horse back riders, hikers, four wheelers, kids and people walking their dogs. Sometimes it helps other times it hurts but most of the time it deoesn't effect the hunt. Remember the deer are use to it and focused on the four wheeler not you the hunter.

I feel for you about the four wheeler and great you get to put more lockson the gates but that can be done after the hunt.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I hate it happened.....but I don't think I'd have come down.

I'm learning..............Deer are VERY curious.......

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 AM

I found some new land a while back and even posted about it when I asked how many rubs does a buck make. Anyways been out there maybe four times still trying to do some scouting and finding the trials. Was walking the exterior of the property since it is only thirty five acres and is real think and part swamp. I found a real nice trail but no tracks? Look at it as it goes in and look up and here about forty yards in is a guy sitting not ten feet off the ground with his back to me so I got lucky he did not see me. I am the only one with permission. Here is my problem, I asked the landowner about if the neighbor ever hunted and he said yes but he does not let him anymore. The guys house is only 400 yards away and the land owner lives by me and that is about 20 minuets away. The guy is clear at the back where there is not hardly any sign and is far enough away from the rubs and main trails that he may help push the deer my way. If I tell the land owner about him the guy can make life alot harder on me then I can make on him. He is a five min walk on the back side and could slip in and take my blinds and such I live twenty min away so if he wants to get into a pissing contest he could have alot more fun then me if ya know what I mean, Got a love trespassers!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've had several deer come in after ATV's passed, and sometimes they will run right to you after running from the quad. However, I dont know if i would have approached the rider with a pittbull with him.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought about staying in my stand and decided against it because I really wanted to find out who this guy is. I don't know if he is a local that should know better or one of the new guys on the lease next door. I thought informing him of the property lines was more important than finishing my evening hunt. I have until January 7th to fill my tags.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'd change the chains & locks, tell the game warden, your b' in law, the county sheriff, the owner of the land and make them aware of the TRESPASSER and enjoy the rest of your season.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I would have done the same. I would give up one evening of hunting to make try and make sure they don't comew back also. I do agree with the others about it probably not affecting the deer though. I hunt the property across the road from me that my landlord owns and it is a big opening in the middle of the woods on a hill and we have a guy in there clearing a bunch of stuff up and leveling it out with a dozer. I went up there on our skip loader yesterday and he said he was surprised he hasn't seen any deer watching him and I figured they would be long gone, but I ran the loader to the back side (this area is about the size of a football field and a half) and saw a piece of scrap metal back in the trees (spring tornado) so I walked over to get it and jumped 4 does sitting about 30 yrds in that were watching in curiosity. So don't always assume atv's/machinery will run off your game.
Brandon