Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 keeping the climber quite? >

keeping the climber quite?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

keeping the climber quite?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Default keeping the climber quite?

i was wondering how you guys keep the climber from makin noise and if something does hit it it wont make a large sound. i have seen stands that have cloth all over. will adding tape of the skin tape that goes on the bow rest help? thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: keeping the climber quite?

My new summit came with camo type tape that deadens the sounds a LOT. The Viper (also a summit) I bought last year ......I had it sprayed with the stuff they put in pickup truck beds (rhino linings?). It worked well.....and it also makes the stand have better foot traction.

Hope this helps.

jeff
Old 10-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing that can be done is to fill the hollow parts of the stand with "Graet Stuff" foam in a can. Of course don't put it the parts where your cable has to slide in. It helps deaden that hollow metal sound just a tad. The other thing I've found that works the best is to SLOW DOWN and pay attention to what you're doing when hooking it up to a tree and climbing.

Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that there aren't too many noisy stands. Just noisy people using them.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 AM

I haven't done this but Iwas thinking about getting the platform and a couple of the other areas of my stand coated with that sprayed ontruck bed lining. Like Rhino lining or one of the other products like that. Should help deaden sound and make your platform slip resistant. I am going to try it on one of my stands I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

That tape makes a huge difference if you have any spots that are metal on metal. I have an old stand that squeaked and banged putting it around a tree until Ifinally took the time to tape it up with Moleskin (spelling?). Then it was as quiet. I have used a summit viper for 3 or 4 years now and it is nice and quiet out of the box.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Spike

I have to agree with BGfisher. Slow it down. If you go rocketing up the tree, there's probably going to be some banging and clanging. Get to your stand a few minutes earlier and take your time.