Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 keeping rust out of gun >

keeping rust out of gun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

keeping rust out of gun

Old 06-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Default keeping rust out of gun

i have cleaned my cva after shooting everytime i use it.but when i leave it in the gun cabinet for a week,i can see a little bit of rust at the end of the barrel.it is a eclipse magnum,blued barrel. thank you
Old 06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: keeping rust out of gun

ORIGINAL: bear6

i have cleaned my cva after shooting everytime i use it.but when i leave it in the gun cabinet for a week,i can see a little bit of rust at the end of the barrel.it is a eclipse magnum,blued barrel. thank you
You don't mention what you use to protect the rifle. What you use, makes a big difference. For instance I was instant messaged by a person that had rust concerns and stated they protected the rifle with T/C #13 bore cleaner, but their rifle still rusted. I explained to them, that was not protecting the metal from rusting. So make sure that what you are using to protect the metal, stop or protects the metal against rust. Not simply cleans the barrel.

Some people use bore butter. Bore butter works only if you know how you're applying it. Do Bore Butter wrong, and you have a rusted rifle.

Another thing you have to be careful of when storing your rifle is humidity. Some areas of the country have a humidity problem. For them, there are things you can purchase to store the rifle in like a silicone sock, or put humidty prevention items in thegun cabinet that will help protect them from the humidity.

So, after you have cleaned the rifle, take a quality gun oil and swab the barrel with that oil on a patch. When you are sure the inside of the rifle is coated well, then hold the rifle in a non metal area like the stock. Using that same oil saturated patch wipe down the outside of the rifle taking care to hit all areas and remove all finger prints, etc. The rifle should then be ready to be stored. Keep your humidity in mind where you store the rifle, and you should be fine.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I totally agree with Cayugad. But you not only didn't say how you treated your firearm but you didn't mention how or what you used to clean it. All my smoke poles are sidelocks and they get a good scrubbing with hot soapy water first with a brass brush then with patches followed by a hot water rinse. Thoroughly dried and bore butter applied in the bore and oil outside. I've never had a problem with rust. Some use bore butter, some don't.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

My favorite gun oil is called Birchwood Casey Sheath a.k.a. Barricade. This stuff really works, has a great smell, and protects all my rifles. I like to get the stuff in an aerosol spray can. Good stuff.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad - do you swab your bore with a solution prior to shooting? I know some who use a 50/50 windex/alcohol solution to wipe the bore. I heard that any petroleum product will form a tarry like residue inside the barrel when mixed with the fired/burnt black powder. I've always used bore butter and never had this problem.
Oh, BTW, as far as humidity, I mounted a ceramic light base inside my gun safe adn put a 25 watt light bulb in there. This keeps the interior of the safe warm enough to expel any humidity. Those silicon dessicant bags are nice but a pain to keep 'baking' dry. The golden rod works well too I've heard.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM

As cayugad said, make sure you're using protectant, not just a cleaner. Assuming you've done so, pay particular attention to the areas that seem to rust. After cleaning, dry the barrel and thenapply a protectant such as T/C bore butter, or just gun oil. Again, pay attention to the seemingly sensitive areas and maybe give them an extra dab. Third thing to do is put the gun in a dry area where the gun can air out. Do not store the gun locked up in a sheath, or if you do, at least open the zipper most of the way. A light bulb or a small, gun cabinet dehumidifier would do a good job. These are just the basics; I hope maybe this caught something that might have caused the problem. And remember, a gun isn't clean until the patches are.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO - cleaning is the most important step in rust prevention. I use a mix of automotive anti-freeze & water for cleaning. Wet patches & pump water in & out of the bore, then bronze brush, then more patches until they come out clean. Then I use compressed air to blow the moisture out of the bore. Then a good thorough soaking with WD-40, set a minute then blow that out with compressed air. A couple clean dry patches, then a good coat of a quality gun oil (I like Rem-Oil). On my hooked breech sidelock I also use a small bronze brush that fits on the end of the ramrod to clean the breech plug face during the cleaning.
Using this method I've had no rust problems at all!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 PM

i use t/c #13 bore cleaner.and i use bore butter.i saw someone said soap and water.wont that make it rust more?i havnt put gun oil on the inside of the barrel.i have on the outside.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:45 PM

I never use bore butter in my barrels. It used to rust my renegade to hell when i'd clean it and then swab it with bore butter. And like you, a week later it was rusty. WD40 is also a horrible oil to use. I'll take a pic of a freshly turned crankshaft that had wd40 applied to it and 2 weeks later, was totally ruined by rust. I no longer oil my barrels. I just dry them, store barrel pointed down and the next day i will run a dry patch, both sides, down the barrel to make sure its fine. No problems yet.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bear - HOT water and soap followed by a HOT water rinse is IMO the best way to clean a black powder rifle. Just the barrel now, not the whole gun. After my sidelocks are scrubbed with the soapy water I put a funnel in the business end and pour very hot water down the bore to rinse it out. The Barrel gets hot enough that you cannot pick it up with your bare hand. It drys fast after running one or two dry patches through it. Just as a precaution, I then run a few patches of #13 through it, dry the bore again and then coat the bore with the bore butter.

Quick Reply: keeping rust out of gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.