Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Keeping it together >

Keeping it together

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping it together

Old 10-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Keeping it together

Well im new to bow hunting this year because im a cheater and use a xbow,I was in my goliath the other night not knowing what to expect or if id get shooting but didnt, but sitting there happy to be out. All was fine till i got movement and i figured oh yeah finally i get to shoot something with my compound instead of targets, a huge turkey emurged wow did i ever get the shakes how do i defeat this feeling to pull off a shot at a deer, with my xbow im fine but with my compound i got the studder and shakes geesssssss thought i was trying the elvis twitch up there.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Keeping it together

time and time in the stand and shooting at deer will only get rid of those buck fever....got to tell yourself to calm down and relax....though no matter how many deer or stuff you shoot you will always have buck fever....just no as bad as the first dozen times
Old 10-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget to breathe.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick a spot and keep yours eyes locked on that spot. Like a fighter pilot locking in on his target. Inhale drawing and exhale when you reach full draw. Take your time and most of all, have faith in yourself and your equipment.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you I wouldn't ever want to lose that feeling.

Thats what makesyou shoot constantly over the summer andget up at 3:30 in the morning during hunting season to head to a stand when there is a major storm moving in and im probably going to be soaked to the bone.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a deep breath and remember it's just another deer. Of course, a very experienced hunter told me that a few years ago. When I told him later that it wasn't working for me, he said "That's OK, it didn't work for me either, but thats what my dad used to tell me!"
Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys
Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

My back and shoulders give me trouble when I shoot my bow--But the feeling you are talking about is why I don't appply for a XBow permit--I don't get that feeling(as bad) with a gun!!! The only advice I can give is to pratice the one shot kill at home--so when the time comes your instinct takes over!! Kinda like in cruise control...