Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting through a blind >

shooting through a blind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting through a blind

Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Default shooting through a blind

I got a new blind this year and plan on using it alot. It has shoot through mesh on it but I read up on it and found out it only works for fixed-blade broadheads. I currently shoot mechanicals and havent had any problems with them. But, if i use them that means I will have to open at least one window on the blind meaning that there is a better chance of a deer seeing me draw. Is it even worth considering or should I change to fixed-blades? I've never hunted from the ground with a bow but I'd say it would make it very easy for a deer to see u drawing back.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: shooting through a blind

I used a blind for the 1st time this year and I shoot mechanicals and fixed blades. I shot thru the shoot thru mesh because I was worried about getting busted too. Work like a dream, the muzzy worked perfect. I took a nice doe at 8 yards and had two others at 5 yards. So much fun seeing deer that close and personal. Good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF you open a window your greatly....greatly increasing your odds on getting busted. You really want to shoot through the mesh. You also just like everything you do bowhunting you want to practice shooting through the mesh. It really doesn't wreck the mesh...the hole are very small. Eventually you'll have to replace it though.

Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an old Double Bull T5 , it doesn't have the shoot thru mesh but I'd sewn some on last year it took me a while but it was worth it.
Any way I think it would be good idea to switch to fixed blades , reason being that I heard some mechanicals will open up as they go thru the mesh.
As for getting busted as you draw your bow back , what I do is when I'm ready to draw I'll lean back away from the window then draw and lean back into the window at full draw / aim and shoot.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Shooting through mesh with two field points and one muzzy practice head;

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/CVBears2006/?action=view&current=Mesh.flv

The results (I punched the trigger on the second shot, no worries);

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/CVBears2006/?action=view&current=MeshResults.flv

Don't know so much about mechanicals through it, but I would imagine the results would be very similar. The mesh is very pliable, I can push my finger through it with little effort. I can't imagine it messing with your shot too much.