Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What does your blind/shooting house look like?? >

What does your blind/shooting house look like??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does your blind/shooting house look like??

Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Default What does your blind/shooting house look like??

Wondering if you guys could post some pics of your blinds or shooing houses. Trying to get ideas for building my own. Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What does your blind/shooting house look like??

I don't have any pictures to show but I'll add this.

By far one of the best "blinds" I ever hunted out of is my little foxhole/pit. It is a 3-4 foot diameter round hole in the ground. I think it is a hole from where a tree was pulled out. It is in a dilapitated fencerow/brushline seperating a crop field from a hayfield that runs E/W. I face W towards the "corner" about 125 yards where the treeline runs N/S and on the otherside it is CRP for a good ways (that ain't our property). I can glass the CRP for a long ways and see deer coming the day before.

I lined the bottom of the pit with thin cinderblocks to keep up out of water when any accumulates in it. I have an old aluminum framed "shower chair" with individually adjustable legs (think nursing home/hospital) that i sit low in the hole on.

Each season the pit is treated to a host of fresh cut bamboo grass all around with some shooting windows.

I have shot ALOT of deer out of the foxhole. I freakin love it! Down out of the winds too.

So after all this (Iwanted to make sure you blind hunters got the full idea) I'm saying, IMO just about any blind can be made better if you are sitting even a bit low to begin with.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 AM

I'm not done with it yet but here is a pic of my shack. The bottom cabin is 8' X 10' and the shooting tower is 5' X 8'.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have any pics but I've built 3 of my own, probably cost $150 in materials each. Dimensions are 4' x 4' x 5'tall on a separate 4' tall platform. I frame it out of 2x4's and make each panel so that it can be disassembled if necessary and moved, otherwise, you've got to move them with a tractor or pick-up. PM me if you need specific dimensions, or details.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn Jay, does it have a pool too?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been hunting from one of these for over 5 years now, this one is my second, both in Tangleā„¢ camo pattern. You can't bow hunt from it other than crossbows, but the cover it provides is exceptional. I have a problem with sitting still for long periods, having this wrapped around me has been worth it's weight in gold.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just finished it last night.....

Old 11-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been building several blinds from brush and other native materials. I try to locate a substantial downed tree and then start leaning logs, sticks, brush, etc. to fill in the holes and gaps. Cedar boughs work really well. I've not had problems with deer noticing me--once I started building them high enough.

I try to arrange them so I'm sitting WITHIN the brush rather than behind it; it helps to have material behind me and a lot of different branch lengths sticking up around my head and upper body. I place a chair (or carry one in) and a two by four contraption to give me a shooting rest no matter which direction I'm facing.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a natural blind what are you using for a floor? I always end up with something noisy underfoot (leaves, thin branches snapping, etc.) when I try to use a natural blind. I try to clear the ground to bare dirt but it never seems to stay that way long.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing in particular for a floor. I've not experienced that as a problem. I don't move my feet, much, though, once I get in the stand. I just sort of dig my feet in and stay still. In fact, the chair and two by four rest is positioned off-center of my hunting area so that I don't have to move much to shoot, aside from leaning forward slightly and raising the gun.

Quick Reply: What does your blind/shooting house look like??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.