Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 finding locations >

finding locations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finding locations

Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default finding locations

Okay
I know this is gonna sound strange to some, well most people, but what to funnells and corridor and such look like and where do you normally find them, my scouting knowledge is not the best and i'm heading out to scout the property that i hunt better this week as its calling for rain, im just not sure what im looking for. Im planning on hanging two stands and setting a camrea
Old 10-22-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: finding locations

A funnel is like a pinch point. Anything that bottle necks the deer down. Like you havetwo 40 acre fields basically side by side, and the only thing separating them is a narrow band of woods 50 yards wide, coming out of one set of woods and going to another. That 50 yard band is a funnel. It can be any distance long. the only thing is thatit kind of looks like an hourglass shape with the middle thin spot that the sand goes through is the funnel. Deer wanting to travel through that area will travel through those woods, using them as the only available cover. You set up in the middle of the funnel. If it is 50 yards wide, then youhave a 25 yard shot to each side.

A finger is a penninusula of land that projects out into a clearing, or in to water. Deer like these because it affords the last bit of coverbefore exiting the woods line.

By corridor, I take it you mean a travel corridor. There is no particular way to describe one. It is simply the perferred travel path, the deer take, to move through an area. It might be because it is close to a food source or water source. It might be because it is an easier area to walk through than the surrounding area. ( like the only dry walkway in a boggy area ) They can still walk in the bog, but the dry area is easier. Or it might be to steep around that area. any number of things. Deer like walking along ridges. Just under the top of a ridge line you might find a travel corridor. All it is, as stated before, is an area the deer like to use. A perferred route.

The idea is behind these terms is: you are looking for any given terrain change or preference that will concentrate the deer movement down into a more manageable area. Giving you the best chance for success.