Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Too many locations"? >

"Too many locations"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Too many locations"?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Too many locations"?

When do you have more land than you can hunt?

I've begun to wonder at what point I DIMINISH my chances.

Rob and I have discussed this several times. How do you know that the time you choose NOT to go into a certain stand site......is gonna be the day the big boy decides he IS gonna take that route?

At some point.....having too many "locations" (spots to hunt) has to be a hinderance. I admit it's a nice "hinderance" to have.....but it makes me start to second-guess.....and it's only April.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Too many locations"?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

How do you know that the time you choose NOT to go into a certain stand site......is gonna be the day the big boy decides he IS gonna take that route?
That is where the "luck" aspect of hunting comes into play.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish i had your problem, and so do many other hunters i know. Alot of us our stuck on our own lands or competing against others. How many is too manyfor you?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Cay.....don't misunderstand....I'm in no way complaining. I quadrupled the amount of land I have vailable to deer hunt from '07 to '08.

My point is.....the land I've been hunting has been good to me. It's something I wanna do (hunt other areas)....but I've done "OK" on the land I've had.

So...the "unknown" factor is there....and I wonder how much of a risk I take in being unsuccessful (in terms strictly described by taking game).....by spreading myself a little thinner. I also understand there's a big "reward" opportunity that accompanies the "risk".
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've begun to wonder at what point I DIMINISH my chances.
Depends on your hunting time available, but trust me, the more the better barring extremes. You will learn to concentrate on certain properties at certain times if you are scouting as you should. In the past I have had access to up to about 3,000 acres for bowhunting and saw more deer, and bigger bucks, the whole season ( I hunted almost every day). You will probably realise, like I did, what overhunting can do a month or more into the season. Now, I have access to much less....but I hunt much less, also. Regardless....congrats on the 'problem'!!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I've had that "dilemna" in the past, but as stated, it's a good one to have.

If you're limited to one location, then one single element such as wind can ruin your hunt.

Multiple locations also allow one to rotate hunts so as not to "overhunt" one spot.

With multiple locations, I would invest in enough trail cams to "scout" all the locations.

I've alsohad my decision on which location tohunt made for mesoley because I overslept and didn't have time to get to my first choice. That also comes in to play if you're short on time, having alocation in close proximityhas advantages even if it means just more time in the woods.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

You will learn to concentrate on certain properties at certain times
EXCELLENT point!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see what your saying, and the unknown factor is the best part of hunting
Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 100,000's acres of public land and I guess i don't understand your problem. Study all the land you have and pick the spots that look good or where you spot big bucks. You can play that" I should have been somewhere else" game. That will only drive you crazy. A successful trophy hunter only has to be right one time. I tell myself this everytime I go out. More land = more chance at success IMO.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason I asked the question, MM....is I've taken a 3.5 and 4.5 yr old the last 2 seasons. It's gonna be a "little" tough to hunt the area I've been hunting "differently".....when it's been good to me.

Not a problem....I admit.....butITISthe unknown.

Quick Reply: "Too many locations"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.