Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Successful bowhunting in the wind ? >

Successful bowhunting in the wind ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Successful bowhunting in the wind ?

Old 10-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Successful bowhunting in the wind ?

Has anyone had any success bowhunting while the wind was blowing between 5 to 15 mph ?If so, what was your tactics.Weather Channel is predicting the wind to be that in our area and I took off of work this week to go bowhunting. Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Successful bowhunting in the wind ?

Stalking through thick cover. Haven't killed a deer this way, but could of shot some small bucks and does. Just don't go stomping through one of your stand sights.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted in high winds in Kansas. Best to practice in high winds and learn how your arrow will react. I didn't change the way i hunted due to the wind, just learned to play the wind better as far as setting up to intercept the deer to make sure they were coming in downwind and then practiced to give me the confidence to make a good shot. I will say my effective range was less. 30 yards or in, compared to no wind out to 40. Practice if you can squeeze it in, it'll give you the confidence to make the shot.

Best of luck. Kelly

Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

5-15? That's perfect, enough wind to "move" your scent and not linger in the area, 20mph+ that's different, I notice that deer won't move to much in that stuff except really early or right before dark.

Mathews LX
Gold Tip
Muzzy 100gr.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wind is blowing pretty good out there this morning for me also, 15 to 20 with higher gust. Not looking good for me also.[:@]
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 AM

i shot a doe this past sat and saw 4 between morning and night shoe her at 542 winds 15-25 all day they are just real skitish
Old 10-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The hard part is holding you bow steady in the wind. The effect on the arrow at less than 30yds is minimal. If you're in a treestand the tree may also be swaying!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM

I won't go out if it's blowing consistently over 10mph because chances are gusts are upwards of around 15. That being said, I think as was stated earlier, 20mph is when it becomes pointless... I guess it still isn't pointless considering you definitely aren't going to shoot one from the couch! It just takes a different technique... I couldn't tell ya, cuz I don't do it. I only hunt from a stand, so I don't like to be up there in the winds.

Good luck this week though... make the best of it, and just remember you stand a better chance of shooting a deer in the wind than you do watching Dr.Phil.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I killed my biggest buck on a nasty windy day. Sustained winds 25mph with gusts up to 40mph. It was the peak of the rut though, and I was lucky to be in stand at 2:30pm that day. Someone already said, 5-15mph winds are perfect.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

If you didn't hunt because it was windy here in Oklahoma you wouldn't get out that much. 15 MPH wind isn't much. Don't change the way you're going to hunt just because the wind is blowing. The deer live out in it year round.

Darrall