Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting shows

Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Default hunting shows

So this morning Im channel surfing and I tune into the mens channel. There just happens to be a hunting show on. Im not going to name names just in case there is anyone affliated with them. But anyways this guy shoots this buck and at first glance I saw that it was a bit back. He started going on and on about how great his shot was and the deer shouldnt go far. I have DVR so I rewind it and slow it down to 1/15 of real time. I was wrong, he hit this buck so far back I was suprised they even found the damn thing. I mean it was right in front of his hind legs. He also was using a lumenok so that also helped out with shot placement.

Well the same guy was on the second hunt. As always he kills this good buck and again goes on and on how great of a shot it was. Me being me I wanted to see where he hit this buck. he hit the buck about the liver area left to right but had the shot been 1in. higher, he would have shot over his back. It just kills me how these guys are bragging how great of a shot they made and IMO it was a horrible shot. However they did recover the deer, it just makes me sick that they even show these shots. For beginners who watch it may think that they can make that same shot and expect to find it piled up 70 yards away.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting shows

That's about the only reason I watch those hunting shows now, just to see the quality of shot they make. Lots of times they don't show the shot, or they hide the entry/exit holes so you can't tell the horrible shot they made.

Trying to learn anything from those shows is a waste of time. Those animals are nothing like the public land/often hunted deer that I go after.

Actually, I take that back, I watched one bowhunter show about a guy bowhunting antelope out west. He hunted every day, all day for 12 days. He progressively got less enthusiastic and his clothes got more dirty, but in the end he got his buck!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

its almost RARE to see them guys make a GOOD hit. its all staged though. they go find the animals and clean them up and prop them up and everything then go "find them" i swear sometimes they gota have someone else in the woods to shoot the deer AFTER they do. notice how they rarely show blood trails and the animals are usually clean and pretty?? thats on the bigger named shows though. can still find pretty decint shows where they know blood is part of hunting.. i wanna see a show where the hunter is back at camp with his gutted deer and BLOOD on his hands while hes telling his story!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM

I was watching a DVD last night and saw several poor shots on deer and there was no mention afterward that the shot was less than ideal. It was the first hunting video I've rented in several years. Probably be the last because I remembered why I stopped watching them before. Not because of the poor shots but the fact that the video is pretty far removed from the actual hunting experiences of the average guy.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll watch the shows when I can, and I've noticed some hits that weren't that great too. By saying it's a great shot, they are training new hunters (who are watching to learn) to hit too far back in the deer. Some practice targets do this too by drawing the shoulder bone as a straight line coming up vertically from the front leg's point.

I wish the showswould take the opportunity to educate their viewers, where to shoot, why a particular shot is not desireable, and how they had to track it. Many people would be able to make better hits on deer, and have more successful recoveries if they could see more of the reality. I'm not so sure that the puddles of blood needs to be on there, bu tthey should at least show how best to get a deer, and what to do when you make a bad shot. It's going to happen to everyone who hunts deer long enough, so we might as well prepare for it.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Watched one yesterday that a guy was in the middle of a drive, the deer were pushed and running everywhere. He took a running shot on a decent what would be 10 pointer, but he couldn't really tell since it was running so fast. I rewound a few times but to me, it looks like the shot hit somewhere just in front of the hind quarters.... They did eventually find the deer but all of the tines on one side were broken off. The guy then says he didn't know if he would shoot it but he couldn't tell what it was so he just shot. Later in the show, there is a good lead up to a father and son hunting with a cross bow. BUT, the deer they end up taking is obviously a 6 month old yearling. I definitely respect the fact of a father and son hunting, but I was just thinking they could have passed on the little ones.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

can still find pretty decint shows where they know blood is part of hunting.. i wanna see a show where the hunter is back at camp with his gutted deer and BLOOD on his hands while hes telling his story!
Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild! Not only do I love how he stands up to all the anti-sportsmen out there (very well, I might add), but he is also very much real about his shows. Just last night he brought his sons on a bear hunt, showed a few minutes of them tracking and eventually coming up on the animal!

I do get a little irritated when the camera is already propped up behind whatever game animal was taken during the show--and the hunter still walks up "surprised". Give me a break, I want to see the initial reaction! I want to see the pleasure and satisfaction in the face of the hunter the moment he sees the trophy he has!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think most of the hunting shows we see are farm raised deer with some exceptions. I know most of the gun hunts are.