Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control product question >

Scent control product question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control product question

Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scent control product question

whats your take on the scent killer products that say or have the autumn formula thats supposed to smell like fall woods, dirt etc. Just wondering what if your woods smells different, wouldnt that alarm deer being an unnatural smell. I usually use the regular but wife picked up autumn formula.Just wondering if people have had any experience with this either negative or positive?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent control product question

here is what I do and It works for me without having to buy into the marketing scheme

I use unscented antibacterial soap to bathe with uncented tide to wash my clothes with
now here is the little trick, pine needled and orcedar chips in your pockets

you can also put some pine needles in your pants pockets then throw them in the dryer for 10 minuites when you put them on you will smell like a pine forest[8D]

you can do the same thing with the cedar chips

the trick is not to be scent free but to smell like something the deer can recognize that way you blend in to their enviroment
you will never be able to eleminate your natural scent but you can do things to cover it up.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Nevertheless, you still need to be scent free. The term cover scent is misleading, as it only mixes with your scent, not cover it. It may make it not as apparent because of other strong odors (urine, dirt, etc), but our oil and dead skin cells stick to a deer's nose, which is why they keep them wet. Having just a little bit of scent hit a mature whitetail's nose will can cause you to see the south side of a northbound deer. Just be smart about scent, where rubber boots, and if a cover scent makes you comfortable, smell like nature, not a combination of five mammals from one bottle. Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Heres something i found and plan on using this season,i dont know if its been posted before so here it goes,also check out the videos.

http://www.deerquest.com/preseasonspecial.html
Old 10-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BJ1011

Nevertheless, you still need to be scent free.
that Aint going to happen Pal!
you have to understand just because you or your buddys cant smell you does Not mean the deer cant! deer have a far greater sence of smell than humans do even with a brand new pair of carbon clothingand clean freshout of the showera deer can smell you if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

you can only hope to get as scent free as possible then use a natural scent to help cover up your smell

I Have killed deer after working all day knowing I stink like sweat the reason I have been successful on these ocasions is because I used the wind to my advantage.

Bottom line is If you dont know how to use the wind to your advantage it dont matter how scent free you may think you are the deer especially the old ones will bust you every time.

you dont have to agree but that dont change a matter of fact.

doe in heat and deer piss is not and should not ever be used as a cover scent anyone who uses these types of lutes as a cover scent is useing them improperly.

they are designed toattract a Mature buck in the same manner a doe would attract a buck or in other cases another buck calling out another buck for a fight.

It takes a real genious to put a little dab behind their ears.

you may be a redneck if your cologne rack is stocked with a bottle of lethal weapon, doe in heat Buck lure
Old 10-21-2006, 12:52 PM

Of course you can't be completely rid of all scent, but TO A DEER, you can be scent free. Nothing is scent free...Elimitrax is not scent free. When companies say their product is scent free, it is able to be assumed that it is to the nose of an animal, which is not as sensitive as some of the machines I've seen used to detect odor (yes, it's real, not just on commercials). I do not believe that a deer can smell you if the wind is blowing toward them if you are using a little more than the typical common sense about scent. I hear people saying all this stuff about how they had oil or gas on their clothes and they went out and shot a good buck. Then I ask which way the wind was blowing...low and behold it was away from the deer. Of course!!! You can smell like whatever you want to if the wind is blowing toward you and away from the deer. Put on Old Spice if you want to!

The point is that the wind is not always in your favor, and when it's not, you need to be as scent free as possible. Also, did you know that after a deer reaches the age of 6 1/2, which is a really good deer, it's sense of smell starts deteriorating? I have not been winded a single time, I'll swear to it, in over four years, and it's because of the process I do using scent elimination.

I do like the redneck cologne, though!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: BJ1011

I have not been winded a single time, I'll swear to it, in over four years, and it's because of the process I do using scent elimination.

This isn't a flame on you, but, thats a bold statement to say the least.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

OH yes you have been busted I can guarantee it you just didnt know it.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:42 PM

I hunt on a patch of woods smaller than an acre that is in the dead center of my farm, which has one more patch of woods about the same size, and the rest is field. I can see the whole way and the farm is almost 600 acres. Another farm I hunt is all woods, and I haven't had one blow at me in years. I know it's a bold statement, but I can be bold if I'm being truthful. Besides, what would be the point of me making up stuff on here to be misleading? I don't know (or know of) anyone on this site personally, so there is no personal gain in it. Just trying to tell my story along with the others. I'm anal about scent control (no pun intended )