Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neck Shot Deer ? >

Neck Shot Deer ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shot Deer ?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Neck Shot Deer ?

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Head-on shots on a whitetail are good shots.
I'll respectfully disagree with you on this point. Is it possible? Yes. Is it a good high percentage shot with? I feel it isn't. I don't like it because there is very little margin for error and the deer is also looking straight in your direction.

To each his own, but for me no neck shots and no frontal shots.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

I'd be nervous to shoot one in the neck with a bow. Pretty high risk of losing it. Shot my first buck in the neck with a gun. I was aiming for the heart but right when I shot it went down hill and I hit the neck and it went down. I look at it this way, I hope I never hit the neck but if I do on accident I pray I hit the jugular and recover the deer.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say, as someone who has killed roughly 100 deer, and lost a few as well, that the head-on shot at the chest cavity is NOT a good one. With the brisket, fat, and cartelidge in that area, many times you miss vitals, and the blood trail is minimum because of the fatty area. I have shot two deer there, and lost them both, and know other who have done the same. Again, I'm not an expert, just my opinion based on experience. I would like other opinions.

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Head-on shots on a whitetail are good shots.
I'll respectfully disagree with you on this point. Is it possible? Yes. Is it a good high percentage shot with? I feel it isn't. I don't like it because there is very little margin for error and the deer is also looking straight in your direction.

To each his own, but for me no neck shots and no frontal shots.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Too much room for error. Ive been shooting all kinds of bows for over 30 years and I still will not take a neck shot. I have yet to have a stiuation where only a neck shot was present. With a little patience, you will get a money shot. If a neck shot is present, give it just a few more seconds and a better shot will be presented.