Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neck Shot Deer ? >

Neck Shot Deer ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shot Deer ?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck Shot Deer ?

I shot a deer right behind the shoulder and went threw the neck.. Of course it was quartering away and had its head down but the blood trail was awsome. 4 feet wide and was spraying on tree's i dono if i hit the main artery or what but it was awsome.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

A good friend of mine shot a 14 pointer bruiser Tuesday night in the neck. It was the only shot he had. Would I do the same, under the circumstances.. hell yes. What a bruiser, i'll post pictures later.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Dont shoot deer in the neck! If you shoot a deer in the dinner plate sized area chest, you have a good margin for error, shot them in the neck if you miss by one inch you will lose the deer. You have to hit the carotid artery in the neck or the spine. If you miss low just a fraction you will never find the deer. (happend). shoot for heart lungs much much less area for error. (I used to think the same thing till I lost deer because of it.)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've got a really good neck shot available, then you've probably also got a good vitals shot available. My thinking is the vitals are the better choice. If I'm hunting with a rifle and have a clean shot within50 yds. or so, I'll go for the neck....otherwise the vitals. Ray
Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer was covered from the neck back by a tree so no other shot on that deer. What peeves me the most is that there were other deer in the area but he chanced a shot onthat deer because it was larger. If it to be very unethical even if it was the only deer.

Tom
Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 AM

I had the same question. My buddy shot 2 last Saturday, both in the neck. One dropped on the spot, the other went about 10 feet. Both were does with skinny necks, so it would have either been a solid hit or a solid miss. He uses expandables, which worked perfectly in both cases, severing the windpipe and several blood vessels. It appears that both were very effective shots, but I don't know that I have the confidence to take them. I'm using slick tricks with the 1 1/8" blades, which is a lot less cutting diameter than the expandables that he's using. They make a great hole, but don't have the same probability of hitting one of the major blood vessels.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Head-on shots on a whitetail are good shots. Your arrow will penetrate the chest, so I don't know why you would aim above the chest for the neck. It is smaller and there is less vital stuff up there. I am a chest man... uh should I rephrase that?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

statjunk....neck shot... bleeding under control....hearts beating strong..lungs sound fine..Doctors thinks he'll make it.

I dont advise it. but to each their own
Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Aiming for the neck is risky. If you don't hit it in the artery you are pretty much screwed. Tell him that if you aim for the vitals you have a very good opportunity to get one. Aim right in the middle of the vitals. If you miss high you hit spine. Low, you hit heart, back you hit liver and ribs. And depending on it you are using a gun if you miss forward you can hit the shoulder. But don't hit the shoulder with a bow. It usually won't kill them.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen alive last year in the neck. It was an accident. He came so fast I didn't have time to get ready and when he stopped I rushed and blew the shot. He bled like MAD for 200 yards then nothing. A tiny drop now and then with clots. This was a 4 year or older buck with a 160 class 9 point rack. The arrow passed right over the top of the spine in the center of his neck and stuck in the ground over a foot. He was seen by another hunter a week later making a monster rub with huge scabs on both sides of his neck! And he's been seen this year with another huge set of antlers! I took a lot of grief on this site last year for making that shot...which was not intentional.

I will never ever shoot a buck in the neck again no matter how big or what kind of shot he presents. A head on shot is a possibility, but not likely.

Quick Reply: Neck Shot Deer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.