Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot? >

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

I have a confession to make - I'm addicted to hunting videos. Every week I make a pilgrimage up to the Bass Pro Shops and always manage to come home with a new DVD to watch. So far this year I've picked up Drury's Whitetail Madness 8 and Dream Season 8, as well as the first season of the Dream Season TV Show, Kisky's Whitetails Taking it to the Extreme 5, Wild Outdoors Most Wanted, Primos Truth 12, and now Primetime Bucks 9.

They're all great productions with a lot of really good footage in them but I've been very disturbed the the amount of deer being shot in the neck. At first I thought maybe it was just a fluke - an error in judgement - a mistake, if you will. But after seeing at least 4 or 5 shots that I can say were purposely taken either directly at the neck, or quartering in front of the shoulder I just don't know what the !#@% is going on here. Did I miss the boat somewhere when the great Gods of bowhunting came down upon us and said "Go ahead and shoot deer in the throat, it's okay."?

So what's the story here? Am I seeing more of these shots just for the sake of having video footage to show people, or are there more and more people who honestly think this is a good shot to take?

Discuss.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

i am not saying this is a good shot at all but one time my shot was off and it in the deer right in the neck it dropped right ther and died within a few seconds. but i highly doubt that happens often. as for the videos im not sure what they are tryin to do
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

ik idk i luke the chestheartlungs etc but ik people who say they shoot them in the next
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

ik idk i luke the chestheartlungs etc but ik people who say they shoot them in the next
What?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without seeing the video's I am assuming we are only talking bow. IMO that is definetely not a shot to purposely take with a bow. alon gwith that would be a frontal shot, head shot, and quartering to shot.

On another note, I saw an elk taken with a bow this week on the Outdoor Channel. It's funny how they edit out the second shot and only say what a great shot he took.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:05 AM

That great Allseason.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I know a lot of people that shoot them in the neck with a rifle, but I agree, not a good bow shot at all. I am a big fan of Michael Waddel, but in one of his shows he shoots a quartering too deer in front of the shoulder, like in the chest, almost head on. After that I too started seeing a lot of those kinds of shots being taken. I don't like them too much either, but in their defense, it apparently does work.
Justin, maybe we should start up a hunting videos anonymous. I, too, have a problem. I am addicted to hunting shows.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

A neck shot is not a good one to take in my opinion. I have noticed some videos loosening the reigns on some quartering to shots, but not a flat out neck shot yet. Some people will argue for neck shots all day long, I am not one of them.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Ever since each hunter has had his own set of standards and ethics
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Do you guys think the hunter on the video is pressured to get a kill. Maybe that is why they are taking those shots. I don't agree with those shots either just trying to figure out why someone would do that.

Quick Reply: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.