Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let him go?  Gimme a break! >

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let him go? Gimme a break!

Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Let him go? Gimme a break!

ORIGINAL: Jumpum and Dumpum

If that deer is a hog for your area then shot him.
There ya go J & D...that's the exact criteria I use!

I've got a couple good sized bucks on my game cameras, so I know whats up where I hunt. Sure, there are more deer up there that I don't have pictures of, but I'll have something to compare them to if I decide to take a shot!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting for mature bucks is not for everyone and for those that are truely happy with any deer then more power to you by all means shoot what makes you happy.

On the other hand, it doesnt take mass amounts of acreage or big dollars to let bucks walk. That is nonsense. I have been hunting public land for 20 + years for whitetails and pass up the babies and young bucks annually while killing mature bucks year after year. If you want to consisitently get onto mature bucks, get off your rear and get out there and put the time in finding an older buck, all it takes is one...you'llnever learn anything about a mature buck if all you ever hunt is young ones. They are completey different in behavior, they should be classified as a seperate species as far as I am concerned.

Once you find one or two mature ones then you can pass all the others.... I know a handful of bowhunters across the nation that do it year in and year out on public lands, not private, not big money spots.... They all have one thing in common... they out work every one else in their areas and the bucks on their walls prove it.

Anyone that consistently shoots the better bucks in their neck of the woods, especially pressured areas...are in my mind the guys I would be talking to for advice.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

Hunting for mature bucks is not for everyone and for those that are truely happy with any deer then more power to you by all means shoot what makes you happy.

On the other hand, it doesnt take mass amounts of acreage or big dollars to let bucks walk. That is nonsense. I have been hunting public land for 20 + years for whitetails and pass up the babies and young bucks annually while killing mature bucks year after year. If you want to consisitently get onto mature bucks, get off your rear and get out there and put the time in finding an older buck, all it takes is one...you'llnever learn anything about a mature buck if all you ever hunt is young ones. They are completey different in behavior, they should be classified as a seperate species as far as I am concerned.

Once you find one or two mature ones then you can pass all the others.... I know a handful of bowhunters across the nation that do it year in and year out on public lands, not private, not big money spots.... They all have one thing in common... they out work every one else in their areas and the bucks on their walls prove it.

Anyone that consistently shoots the better bucks in their neck of the woods, especially pressured areas...are in my mind the guys I would be talking to for advice.
...that's what I'm talkin' about right there! Good post!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Ill let the little guys go, until the end of season approaches. If there are a few days left, and i have a tag left, That little guy is becoming steak.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have yet to see 130 inch deer while hunting. I've seen them driving in other states, etc... I would shoot it, especially with a bow.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

See, some here are getting my point without any further information. Did you look at the pic I posted of the largest buck I ever shot?
For the rest of you, I do have pretty good area to hunt. I hunt in Northeren Wisconsin, and between the land that I own, family land, and fallow farm land, we hunt about 3 sections....1800 acres.
Wow! That's great! Right!
Well for the last 6 years I am the only one that shoots does. I am the only one that plants and maintains food plots. I am the only one that has set aside a large portion of my land as a sanctuary. I am the only one that select cuts the large timber areas of my property to open up the canopy to encourage natural brouse. And I am the only one that will let a fork horn walk.
Seems like a lot of work and money for one small 14" 8 point in the last 6 years, don't you think?
So, yes, I'm going to put an arrow or a bullet through the first 130" buck that walks into range.
Brian
Old 10-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got no problem shooting a 130 class buck. ever
Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

every post here mentioned antler size but only a few mentioned geography....anyone else see a problem??

take whatever you are happy to harvest.