Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I being unfair??? (long story) >

Am I being unfair??? (long story)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I being unfair??? (long story)

Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I being unfair??? (long story)

Go alone. You can do it. What you goof up will make you learn. Go out, spend the whole day by yourself, learning how. Nobody to talk to, nobody to look at....it's wonderful. When you get that deer, it will be even more satisfying than you ever imagined. Don't rely on someone else, rely on yourself. Don't be envious of that guy either. Envy is a deadly sin, and I'm not even religious. You are being unfair to that guy, leave him alone.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Are you looking to this friend as a hunting buddy or are you looking to him tas a hunting mentor? If he's just a hunting buddy you're whining and being an ass......sometimes patience is the hardest thing to learn when hunting deer, you sit there for hours waiting in ambush freezeing your ass off and don't see anything, you're frustrated and you're taking it out on him.If he's mentoring you he should probably be doing a better job, he should be helping you get your first kill, guiding you and giving advice, giving you positive reinforcement, etc......if he's not doing that then find another mentor or get out there and do it on your own.[/align][/align]One piece of advice I'll give is this. You seem to be traveling a long way to hunt, and it's probably really adding to your frustration level. There's a lot of deer in surburbia,find some place closer. I live 20 miles outside the Washington DC beltway and do a lot of hunting in small woodlots in peoples back yards....that's where the majority of the doe's I take come from....I work flex time and get off work at 3PM and hunt at least a couple of times a week..two of the three doe's I've taken so far this yer came form back yards. [/align]
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 AM

The answer to your posts title is DEFINITELY YES - you are being unfair!!!

So much so, that I don't even understand your logic here!?! Why do you think that this fella would even go if he wasn't allowed to hunt? Isn't that why he went...to hunt?

How about if he didn't actually kill anything. Would it be ok if he was to make his hand to the shape of a gun, and then yell "BANG" at the deer???

You could be happy for your friend who did get a deer! He was probably pretty stoked, and your attitude is probably nothing but a buzz kill! Bet that was really fun for him.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get rid of the bitterness, put it behind you, and GO HUNT!!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I think you guys jumping him for not letting the guy fill his tag for him is out of line. True, our guy seems to have a little jealousy thing going about the guy could have let them walk in hopes they'd come my way. But I think we've straightened him out on that. But the question now is does he have to let Guy B fill his tag for him. I say no. The guy wants to become a bowhunter. HE wants to kill his own deer. And that's what he should tell the guy. You can come and all that, but if you shoot a deer I'm not tagging it. I want the opportunity to tag my own deer. If the guy doesn't see the reasoning in that, well hell, I don't want to hunt with him anyway. We find out over the years that the best person to hunt with is usually ourselves.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 AM

I can see how you feel. I don't think a deer or hunting permission should affect a friendship. If you feel he is taking advantage of your situation then find a new hunting partner.

I was fortunate that my hunting buddy who got me into bow hunting did everything in his power to try to get my first deer. Anytime he saw deer he would tell me where to place my stand. I got my first deer last year and he was not there. When I shot my first bow buck (8 pointer) last November he was there and he was as excited as I was.

Life is too short hunt with people you like and treat you the way you want to be treated.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 AM

On the question of him useing your tags......totally agree with davidmil on that......he shouldn't even be broaching that subject.[/align]
Old 10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

We find out over the years that the best person to hunt with is usually ourselves.
That's what I was trying to say.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spur0701

On the question of him useing your tags......totally agree with davidmil on that......he shouldn't even be broaching that subject.
[/align]
I assumed the guy had his own doe tags. Tell him you are NOT tagging his deer with your tags, and that he is FIRED! hahaha
Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are too heavy to hunt "his" stand, buy a pop up blind, or just cut a few limbs and make a ground blind. If the farmer wants the deer killed, he wouldn't care about you trimming a few trees. (I'd still check with him first) Just sit there and wait the deer out. If you've never killed a deer, you may need his experience with field dressing, or help with the dragging. A 100lb doe feels like 250lbs after you've drug it a few hundred yards by yourself. They make stands that support over 300lbs, Wally world has a 2 man stand that is rated for 500lbs and is $100. Plenty of room to stretch out in it. Good luck on your first deer, but don't be ticked off when you invite a guy on a deer hunt and he takes one..... thats time for pics and memories, not grudges.

Quick Reply: Am I being unfair??? (long story)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.