Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How long should  i wait >

How long should i wait

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long should i wait

Old 11-13-2002, 04:43 PM

Default How long should i wait

I will be coming home for a week off during thanksgiving from college and i plan to spend much of the time hunting. my question is i havent been home since august so i havent done any trimming for shooting lanes and whatnot. I am very familiar with the deer patterns on the property, the areas just need to be trimmed. If i go and trim a particular area how long will it take for the area to be suitable for hunting in regards to scent.

Thanks patrick
Old 11-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long should i wait

If your looking to shoot a trophy, I'd wait a day or two. But if you just want the excitement of a deer hunt and some meat in the freezer- I would go hunting asap. I've cleared lanes the day before shooting a doe this year and in years past.
I'd clear out a couple of stands then hunt back and forth to keep them guessing where you are.
Have fun!!

Old 11-13-2002, 06:25 PM

Default RE: How long should i wait

It takes 24 hours before all human scent it removed from an area. If you put on some rubber laytex gloves or neopreem gloves with a little scent eliminator or even animal pee or acorn scent you will leave no human oder behind that is strong enough to scare deer away. Deer only leave an area when there is a strong human oder. Deer are know to smell you from hundreds of yards away but it all depends on how much scent molecuels they are picking up. If they can smell a little bit of human oder than 9 times out of 10 they wont scram. Well good luck to ya! Shoot the MONSTER!