Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Didn't wait long enough

Old 01-19-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Didn't wait long enough

My 11 year old had his last hunt of the year Sun. Morning. Being post season youth it was Doe and Spike only. As luck would have it 2 minutes after first light a nice 8 pt.walks out and does a slow drive by. We just watched and hoped. About 5 mintues behind him a spike walked out and headed for the feeder, BTW the buck never even slowed down to eat any corn, for you anti baiters. The spike danced around for 10 minutes or so never giving my son a nice broadside shot. Finally he did and and my son told me he was ready to shoot. Off he went. Looked like a nice front sholder hit. Front left leg was badly damaged but he ran about 50 yards behind some brush. We waited about 5 minutes figuring this was enough due to shot location. We exit the blind and head for wher he hit him to practice following sign and this deer snorts and jumps out from behind the brush and heads for cover. Damn. . We walk to where he spooked from and find blood from the wound and blood from his nose when he snorted, so we got some lung too. . .Ok. We hell now he have him moving so I figured I was committed to track this guy. Off we go . . .my boy must have some strange roots. . .he would find single drops. . so between the 2 of us we where doing pretty good. This Deer ended up doing a very large circle and draggin us throguh all kinds of stuff. I kept going becuase I was thinking that I would loose this guy if I backed off now and waited. Well 300 acres and a 1 mile loop was not enough. we tracked him to the fence and found a nice bunch of blodd where he stopped before he went over the fence.

For future hunts. . . .yes we will wait longer. . . .but what if we spook a wounded Deer should we stay on him or back off and hope we can track him later??

Not a long time hunter but had a great season, 5 bucks and 2 does this year and 2 bucks last year, one doe my first season. My 2 young sons helped out with things but I was with them the whole time so I consider their deer as part of my overall season, 1 buck and 1 doe for each boy and the other got an extra spike.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Didn't wait long enough

did u find the deer
Old 01-19-2004, 09:37 AM

You don't cross fence lines in the state of Texas. . . .people get dead that way. Had no idea of who owns the land behind the ranch where I hunt so was unable to ask for access to continue tracking. The boy and I were pretty upset about letting him get away and the fact that the animal suffered more than he should have.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Call game warden, let him track it with you, no excuse
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 AM

Thanks. . .good idea. . .we will use warden next time. . . .I typically try to avoid using any goverment person if at all possible. . . .don't ever want or need any one else in my shorts.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

You should have given him at least 30 minutes to lay down the first time, if they don't go down in sight always give them at least 1/2 hour. When you jumped him the first time you probably should have waited another 1/2 hour or an hour. Not knocking you, just letting you know what is a decent amount of time to wait. Now if you had gut shot it I would say wait at least 4 hours or over night.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:44 AM

in most states dont know about texas if you call DNR and tell them what is going on they will help you try to recover shot game