Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suburban Deer

Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Suburban Deer

Suburban deer……

How about this for “scouting”? The state Div. of Highways widened my road about 4-6 months ago. They still have their silt fencing up…..and I JUST got access to a small parcel of hunting land……right across from my house. I didn’t have time to hunt, this morning (I did….but not if I shot one!)…..so I thought I’d sit and see where the deer are coming out of the woods to drink from the pond across the street. Now….my 3 acres I own are surrounded by 24 on each side….that is uninhabited. But….I DO have neighbors out front.

Picture this:

I’m sitting on a little tripod stool…..15 feet from the side of the road…….full camo…..in a hedgerow……behind the silt fence.

I’ve seen as many as 11 deer at the pond (right across the road from my driveway)….but none, this morning (although I had to leave pretty early, for work). I watched a BEAUTIFUL NC sunrise with my son, though…….so all was good.

I wonder, to an outsider, how funny I would have seemed……….?? Do you think I love these animals….and hunting them????

Jeff

Old 10-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suburban Deer

I'm sure there were quite a few drivers going by, thinking"What is that goofy son of a gun doing up there??" If I had driven by, I'd have thought "That lucky SOB!"
Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM

I think the only drivers who would have seen you would be hunters. They would first think how luck you were and then about calling in sick. Nonhunter drivers never see game, so they definately wouldn't see a camo person.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

i too hunt suburbia alot. my first hunt alone was when i was 16. second day of spring gobbler season. i lived 2 blocks from the woods. couldnt drive yet..so i asked dad if i could walk and skip school. he said sure. walking in noone was around. walking out with my first turkey ever(longbeard to boot..AND i was alone for the first time) i think every neighbor was out! one lady(i know her) stopped me and said GOOD JOB! you got one of them pesky things. (she lives on the edge of the woods) and said they march up and down the road every morning gobbling so loud she cant sleep! definently got some wierd looks that day..actually headed to the area to deer hunt right now...i dont live there anymore..about 5 minutes away...atleast i can drive now
Old 10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

SBG the best part was being with your son and passing on knowledge. He will proably be doing the same thing with his son one day telling him how his "Pop" and him would spend time together.

"Take your kids hunting and you won't be hunting your kids"

Boldplate.

PS How I love thoughs NC mornings in Surry