Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads >

Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads

Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads

My brother hit two moose this year one at40yds and one at 29yds . He say he made good shots and we searched for hours for them but with very little blood it was tough and when they both quit bleeding we looked to no avail. He had mechanical broadheads and now the owner of our local sportshop say's they don't have the penetrating power. What do you guy's and gal's think . We both now have fixed broadheads after what he said.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 PM

Default RE: Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads

Well, it's like this. Mechanicals do have the ability to penetrate. They can completely pass through. But they also have the ability to fail, not open at all, or open badly causing a small wound channel. They also have the possibility of plaining or kicking off of an animal, if the shot is a somewhat sharpe quartering away shot, and one of the blades hits the animal at the right angle and that one blade opens first and throws the Broadhead away from the animal.

Now, with that said, there are tons of animals killed with mechanical broadheads every year. Some work better than others, some work really well. But, my preference is a fixed blade. They work everytime, sorta. A fixed blade can brake a blade, It can also plane off of the animal at times, though it is much lessof an occurrancethan with the mechanicals.

So all I can give you is my opinion....Fixed blade everytime. I do not have a mechanical head in my posission today. All I own is fixed.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 PM

Default RE: Mechanical vs Fixed Broadheads

Here was my thought process (basically) when I was deciding on which type (mechanical vs. fixed) blade to use:

Mechanical blades need to use some of the energy they have to open the blades on contact--not very much, but some. Fixed blades, as I see it, should have energy stored to maintain the penetration...

Yeah, so I guess maybe its some screwed up physics in there--but that is (in a nutshell) what I thought when I bought my broadheads...maybe I'm wrong--but I wont admit it

Either way, a lot of personal preference with the broadhead type--just like most other aspects of bow hunting!!!