Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bad shot on doe.... >

Bad shot on doe....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad shot on doe....

Old 10-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Bad shot on doe....

I decided to try something different and hunt from a ground blind since I knew the deer weren't using the trails by my stand anymore (Too many kills up there, lots of hunting pressure) So I hunkered down up against a large tree overlooking the hollow further down from my stand. There was a well used path in front of me at 30 yards. At first I just observed around me for a few minutes, then put my head back and gradually fell asleep. Got too comfortable I guess. I woke up not long after and heard some shuffling leaves on top of the hillside straight in front of me about 100 yards off. I got the grunt call and made a few grunts. Then I heard a deer bleating like crazy and a bunch of them ran down from the hill. They stopped far to the left of me on the trail and worked their way up. I watched the lead doe. As she came up the trail more, I drew back. She never noticed me until I stopped her and shot her. It was at least a 25 to 30 yard shot. But it seemed so much closer. And I felt confident about it. So I waited for about a half hour and then got my flash light and walked over to where she was standing. Took me a minute to find the arrow, it was just 5 yards behind where I shot the deer. At first I was thinking I missed, but upon closer inspection of the arrow, there was a mucusy substance all over it, and quite a bit of stomache fat. I smelled it and could smell the guts. There were also hairs along the arrow. I knew I had hit the deer then. So I waited for dad to come down and help me. We tried to find some blood, but could not find one drop. We didn't want to push the deer so we left and will be returning tomorrow morning before I go to school. I really hope I find this deer, it was my job to make a good hit but this time that didn't happen. I guess everyone gets a gut shot once in thier hunting career, but it sure isn't cool.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad shot on doe....

Piebald, this sure sounds familiar to me! You did the right thing not pushing her, that will make the odds of recovering her much better. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

that sucks, but you and your dad seem like good hunters i bet you will find it. I shot a buck in the guts last year and i felt so bad I waited for 4 hours before starting to track it. I did find it but i had to shoot it again.
If you have any water near by that is where i would look.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

sorry to hear that...well you didn't push her and gut shots are lethal...you did the right thing...good luck tomorrow
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Yeah...There is actually a lake right to the left at 75 yards away of where I shot the deer, and a creek leaving the lake and flowing towards where the deer ran after I shot it. So there's lots of water if the deer decided to run near it. I really hope we find her. I just hope the meat will still be good tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM

Good luck tommrow hope ya find her
Old 10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happens to us all. Give her time and you will find her.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 PM

At least you did the right thing and waited. With any weapon you take the chance of a bad hit... it's unfortunate, but it happens. It's good to see someone with enough patience and smarts to wait it out.

Good luck to you, I hope you find her!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM

Ohhh jeez I'm starting to think I might have just grazed the doe on top of her back, and skinned her a little. But there was no blood on the arrow at all. Just a fatty substance.

I CAN"T Sleep tonight! aww......[:@]
Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you could smell the guts on the arrow, you either hit the deer in the intestines, stomach, or possibly the espophogus. Wait until morning,and then go SLOWLY and have your bow with you ready to shoot. Chances are that deer will be dead. As long as you get to it before it gets warm, the meat should be fine. If you are more than a few minutes away from where you can butcher it, stop at the store and get a bag of ice and store in the empty carcas after you dress her.

Quick Reply: Bad shot on doe....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.