Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 20 feet closer to God >

20 feet closer to God

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20 feet closer to God

Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 20 feet closer to God

I'll come clean.....

I don't go to church. I'll rephrase that.....I don't go to a "conventional" church. "I" don't think a "Church" need necessarily have walls and a roof, though. My God and I have our sessions during hunting season.

I think this is a GREAT post.

Here in NC......our legislature is contemplating repealing the ban on Sunday hunting. You can imagine some of the flack coming from the bible belt. I tell people my stance is this (among having other arguments in favor of repealing the ban).....

Would you rather be in Church........thinking about being with God and hunting........or be hunting and have it all?

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find myself often talk to God and reflecting on my life.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 AM

Great post!!!!! I pray in my stand but nearly enough. I alos agree with the fact we are very fortunate to get to hunt and enjoy the beautiful woods God created for us. Gods blessed me quite a few times with my hunting

Anyone know of a good christian board to chat on?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NJ/PAbwhunter

Maybe it is the quiet of the woods or the sights and sounds of nature all around me. Maybe it is that when the time comes that I am able to hunt, I am just so grateful for that opportunity, I want to count all my blessings. Or maybe it is just that I am…
20 feet closer to God.

I cannot help but feel that I have to pray from my tree stand. Once I am up there, settled in and waiting, then all the thoughts come into mind. Thoughts of how lucky I am to be able to hunt today. Lucky that I am healthy and physically able to hunt. Lucky, that I have a job that affords me the time to go hunt. Lucky, that my wife is able to run the store and hold things down while I am up the tree. Lucky that I live in a country where I can hunt. I often find myself moved to prayer while I up that tree. I just need to say thank you Lord for all the blessings in my life.

So how many of you share in this feeling? Feeling 20 feet closer to God. I have spoken to other hunters in the past who have told me that they get that feeling too. I guess if you have not experienced it for yourself…. Well then I might just sound like some religious nut to you. But, in reality I believe that giving thanks is an important part of hunting. I feel there is a connection you have with nature as a hunter that is difficult to put into words… at least difficult for me. So I was just wondering what kind of response I would get from my hunting community regarding this subject. Any thoughts?
DW
I agree 100%! Absolutely awesome post, Thank You! I too am a born again Christian since March 29, 1988 and proud of it. God delivered me from a life of drugs and acohol andi have so much to be thankful for that if my life ended today i have no complaints.I have a wonderful wife of 18yrs, twogreat kids and so many blessings that i couldn't even begin to count them all.
Anytime is a good time to pray but sitting alone 20' up a tree surrounded by God's creation is just simply a very humbling time for me.The first thing i do when i get settledin my stand is go to God in prayer thanking him for allthings. As i sit there and take in everything that he's created all i can say is God you are truly awesome and amazing.I thank God for his Mercy, Grace, and hisunconditional Love and above all else for his son Jesus Christwho died for a sorry no good sinner like me.Thank you Jesus!
Am i a Jesus freak?........YES I AM!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 AM

I'm closer to God than all of you----I hunt 35 feet high!JK of course. It is really good to know that there are others who use this time to reflect. I get some of my best praying done out in the woods without distractions--unless I am interrupted by footsteps....I think about the verse in James that says every good and perfect gift comes from above---the wild outdoors... the world dressed in its clothing provided by God, unspoiled by man's intrusion, is certainly a good thing. IT really provides a healing, soothing effect that speaks volumes about who made it. You have to turn off your 'ears' not to hear it.If it's good--it's from God.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: ALHunter74

Great post!!!!! I pray in my stand but nearly enough. I alos agree with the fact we are very fortunate to get to hunt and enjoy the beautiful woods God created for us. Gods blessed me quite a few times with my hunting

Anyone know of a good christian board to chat on?
Just scroll down toward the bottom of the page when you click on all forums and you will see the hunting and religion forum. Pretty diverse, and not only open to Christians. We have a good group of participants, several of which are open that theyaren't believers, yet are good to interact with. Occasionally a troll comes along to 'stir the pot', and the debates can be heated, but 99% of the time, it gets smoothed over and we carry on.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 AM

I also pray while I am in my stand. It's a good time to pray without any distractions.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I'll come clean.....

I don't go to church. I'll rephrase that.....I don't go to a "conventional" church. "I" don't think a "Church" need necessarily have walls and a roof, though. My God and I have our sessions during hunting season.

I think this is a GREAT post.

Here in NC......our legislature is contemplating repealing the ban on Sunday hunting. You can imagine some of the flack coming from the bible belt. I tell people my stance is this (among having other arguments in favor of repealing the ban).....

Would you rather be in Church........thinking about being with God and hunting........or be hunting and have it all?

Jeff
Couldn't agree more and I find myself closer to God in my treestand than in any pew I've ever sat in.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

it is a relaxing peaceful time, i feel bad for those who have never experienced the sun coming up over the horizon and the woods come to life or the sun set in the evening.. We are lucky..It is a great time to pray..

Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Michigan hunter14

I think I have heard a quote from Uncle Ted about being 20 feet closer to god, I wish I could remember it. I am with you all I feel the same way and am thankful for the chance to hunt whenever I can.
The one time I hearing him say that was a reference to Fred Bear.

I thoroughly agree. Tis no place I'd rather be, than hunting.

EDIT: I did a google search and everything I saw was attributed to Fred Bear. The Full quote goes like this:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Quick Reply: 20 feet closer to God

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.