Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help with mechanicals >

Need help with mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with mechanicals

Old 10-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with mechanicals

First time bowhunting. Purchased some mechanicals and although I understand the concept of opening on impact Iam alittle confused. They come packaged with rubberbands on them. Do these little o rings stay on the head and do they break upon impact as the arrow opens up? I took one off and i cant see how the blades would stay together without them.

Please help. BTW do you guys like mechanicals? I am using them because i have only practiced with field tips and I am going out tomorrow and I have had no time to shoot with regular broadheads.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help with mechanicals

The bands cut themselfs off upon impact, till then they hold the blades in. Please reconsider about going out hunting and not seeing where your broadheads shoot, mechanical or fixed. You owe it to the animal.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Rickmur. Thanks for the info. Just so you know the mechanicals shoot like a filed tip. Statistically they are practically identical. That is the only reason they are even used.

I have been hunting for almost 16 years and as an avid hunter and animal lover i would not jeopardize an animal like that. in fact although I am very accuratre at 30 yards i have already decided that I will not shoot anything over 18 yards. For know that is what i conside my "almost" sure bet zone. LOL.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 PM

If you want to keep shooting mechanicals, you might consider some NAP Spitfires, they do not require rubberbands. They are kept closed until impact by a mechanism inside the broadhead similar to a pocket knife. I have had great success with them and they do fly just like a field tip.