Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which of these mechanicals? >

Which of these mechanicals?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which of these mechanicals?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which of these mechanicals?

I am having a heck of a time getting my wal-mart bought Muzzy 100 to fly right so I am going to try a mechanical. I know I want a rear deploy head and I keep hearing good things about the Rages and Undertakers. I have heard that the Rage's have a rendency to fall apart and it appears that the undertakers are built a little bit better. Any opinions? I do like that the Rages include a practice tip. Also random Q? For those of you who visit Arch. Talk does that site run extremely slow at times or is it just me?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which of these mechanicals?

In order to give an appropriate opinion we have to know more about your set up, how much much KE you pushin?

Assuming you have plenty, I prefer the Rocky Mountain GatorXP to the Rage as it is Cheaper and is really the original Design and a tougher head IMO.

Those Undertakers look pretty cool, Havent got to try em though.

Yeah AT runs slow sometime, was today anyway.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

I am not exactly sure of the KE (too tired to do the math right now). However, I am shooting a Diamond Marquis with a Hostage Pro Rest. set at 68lbs.30 inch draw. Gold tip 7595 (i think thats the right number -- i know it starts with a 7) 100gr tip Blazer vanes w/ arrow wrap. Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have plenty of ke to shoot the rage2blade if you wanted. I shoot the 3 blades though and dont have any trouble with pass throughs. ive heard of a lot of people not getting the rage 2 blades to go through both sides. Alot depends on the shot obviously. I dont know about the other but i know about the rage. btw, the 3blades dont fall apart like the 2blades do. the pin design is different i think.
derek
Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why Mech? I just don't see the attraction. I've done so many fieldtest on broad heads, and have not found anything to compare with a fixed heads. The problem I've found is, if it moves there is a weak spot there, and subject to failure. The broad heads I use and prefer are .040 thick.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen what rages do and they make for good blood trails,but I have some NAP mecks and I shot one goofing around and kinda glad it wasn't at anything I meant to take.The o-ring went back as designed but only 1 of 3 blades deployed.I thought the Muzzy heads at Wally World were MX3's? I shoot some that are older...not marked MX 3 and have total faith in them and they shoot like a dream,also have Phantoms...those are my goto arrows.Try the heads on different shaft and see if that changes things.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Grim Reapers are awesome. I used to shoot muzzys, but had trouble tuning once I switched to carbon shafts. Honestly, I loved the muzzys, but the Reapers have the same tricar (bone-crushing) tip as the muzzys, with the addition of razors for added penetration, and theyfly just like bullet points.