Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Phases??

Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moon Phases??

I love the second one. It will be an interesting game this sat..
Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing to be mindful of with respect to the Full Moon is that, during thefew days before and after a full moon, the moon will be overhead around midnight, and underfoot around noon. So, the peak feeding times do not coincide with peak "hunting" times, dusk and dawn.

Check out the calendar for this month, and you'll see what I mean. The full moon & apogee is on 10/6 (today).

Apogee is when the moon is the farthest from the earth, meaning that its gravitational pull is the weakest. Also, the apogee full moon is 1/3 dimmer than its perigee full moon, which occurs around March I think. Perigee is when it's closest and brightest. Just some food to chew on.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no clear consensus. Nobody knows for sure. We're all just a bunch of people speculating. I get out there and hunt - screw the moon. Deer do whatever the they want to. They are unpredictable. The only sure thing is you can't kill them on your couch.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Spike

Quicksilver...I really like that chart. Interesting that my game camera that overlooks my food plot took 3 picks on 9/5... all 3 between 10:45 am and noon. Could be a coincedence but who knows. Obviously not every chart is going to work for every area.. local factors apply but I think I'll change things up a bit this weekend and only hunt one morning and try an afternoon on the other. Given that Saturday is going to be unseasonably warm I'll probably try the morning one there and give sunday mid-morning a shot.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear people say that during a full moon the deer feed all night long because they can see better. Deer see fine with no moon, and I thaught they fed at night all the time. That is why we catch them going to food plots in the afternoon and going to bedding areas in the morning, RIGHT?

I agree with Rob also the position of the moon is the determining factor more than the phase.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only sure thing is you can't kill them on your couch.
I love this....my quote of the day!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 PM

I hunted last night and this morning. It wasn't a full moon but it was pretty close to it. They were feeding early this morning, maybe 5:45 in the bean field behind our place. I spooked them out on the way to my stand. I think they feed a lot during the night in a full or near full moon. I didn't even need a flashlight to get to my stand at 6:00, it was that light.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, the moon in near Perigree tonight. That's why it looks bigger and closer tonight than usual. Also, I think we are in the Harvest moon phase, when the old timers used to stay out and bring in their crops. Don't know how it effects the deer though. Like others, I always heard that the deer feed more during these nights, and move less during the day, but now I'm not sure.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 PM

you guys should try this!! http://www.heuristicresearch.com/outdoors/fishbyte.html
Old 10-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow, theres a lot of good info here. Thanks guys. I did see 3 bucks traveling together this evening around 7pm. south centrial michigan. I hope that does not throw off the perdictions!!! good luck to all of you.