Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Phases??

Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phases??

OK Guys and Gals,
How many of you pay attention to the moon phases and adjust your hunts accordingly? I have always looked for the moon rising early in the afternoon as the best time to be in the stand. I have always seen deer moving and feeding early in theafternoon when this happens. The full moon seems to shut down most activity early in the season around here. At least durring the daylight hours.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moon Phases??

From my experience, I've seen more deer in the afternoon (11 A.M.-4 P.M.) when the moon is full. I 'googled' moon phases and the effect it has on deer and it backed up my experience. It said less deer/bucks where taken when the moon was full. That's because most hunters feel mornings and evenings is the best time to hunt. But in reality deer, for the most part, aren't necessarily "programmed" to feed mornings and evenings. They adjust accordingly due to moon phases and chemical make-up. It's instinct. If cool enough early in the year, try going out at 8-9 o'clock and hunt through the afternoon. It's really a matter of trial and error.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actual research (TR Michaels) suggest that the most deer activity and most havests occur during the full moon phase. However, my experience has been like most others in that I hardly see anything in the mornings following a full moon. A heavy overcast night helps though.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Actual research (TR Michaels) suggest that the most deer activity and most havests occur during the full moon phase. However, my experience has been like most others in that I hardly see anything in the mornings following a full moon. A heavy overcast night helps though.
Bob, is that information on the web? If so can you e-mail it to me. I recieved mine from an article on the web. I know your not supposed to trust everything on the web, so maybe my source wasn't lagit. I just went to google and searched 'moon phases effect deer'. This is aquestionthat I have fathemed for the last 4 years or so. Ithought I've might have figured it out. This weekend will be a good test I guess. I think the Full Moon is tonight?. I'm the same as you mornings and evenings I don't see much, I see more drivingin the middleof the afternoon.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

stealthHtr22.

I'm not sure if I can post this here. But we'll try.

Here is a link to TR, you may have to purchase his actual research papers (I'm not sure if he puts them on his web), but could could try chatting with him in his forum. Tell him BobCo19-65 sent you from here. He is a very knowledgeable and honest person and has spent tons of time doing actual research in the field.

http://www.trmichels.com/DeerArticles.htm
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks BobCo, appreciate it!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does not research also show more correlation to deer movement to moon position rather than phase? Example, deer movement is suppose to increase when the moon is directly over head and directly under foot ie, the other side of the planet. This could be anytime from noon and midnight to 9 am and 9pm.

I see very little daylight activity during a full moon but I have to say I usually only get evenings during this time. I've stayed in my stand in past seasons to hear the deer after darkness and on some occassions were able to glass them with enough light.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have noticed that when the moon is full morning hunts can be sucessful in that the deer are feeding during the night and returning to bedding areas. Just have to catch them in the transition period.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

For years I have used this website for fishing and hunting primetimes. (Scroll to bottom of website page for valuable information.I can attest for it's accuracy both for fishing AND hunting). Note that it does point out that early morning and late evening are frequently good times also. Also, the MOON CALCULATOR is good anywhere you are in the U.S./Canada....valuable also.
http://www.texasprimetimes.com/Texas_Feeding_Tables/texas_feeding_tables.html

Also, here is a very handy, accurate clock to use in conjunction with the MOON CALCULATOR
http://mackgreen.com/signature.php/temp.gif
Old 10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Rob,
I think the info you talk about is correct. At least from what I've seen. When the moon is rising in the afternoon I see all kinds of activity on my way home from work. That time is usally around 4:00 pm. I see deer along the road feeding and in peoples front yard. That is the time I try to get in the stand.

Quick Reply: Moon Phases??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.