Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Phases???

Old 11-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phases???

I finnaly found what the moon phase is and I'm not sure how that information is supposed to help hunt. How should I hunt this tommorow, waxing gibbous with 94% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated (tommorows moon phase).
Old 11-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moon Phases???

I have heard a lot about the moon phases. Most people say when the second full moon after the equinox (Hunter's Moon), is the best time to see big bucks moving. Also, that a full moon at night will have the deer up and moving. I disagree. When the moon is up and bright in the sky at night, the deer can see better and move on more of a nocturnal schedule. If there is a new moon or the moon is up in the daytime, the deer do not have the moon's light at night. Therefore, theycannot see as well at night andmove more at dawn & dusk.
Sorry I do not have an exact answer for you. The rut seems to be hot in most areas, I wish I could just get in the woods.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with kathwacckk.i hate to hunt the days around a full moon especially if its warm and the skys are clear.the deer just seem to hold out on movement. right know i'm hunting in upstate new york and it's been warm, clear skys, and really bright at night. sunset is around 4:57 here. i left the woods to see if the deer were coming out later due to the moon. it's 5:30 and i can only see about 25/30 yards in front of me, so i say hell with it and take off to the car. i herd what i pretty sure was deer still millin around in the thicket at this time. tomarrow is sapposed to be the same but warmer. im going into the thicket and staying later to see what the deal is. i'll write back tommarrow and let u know what the deal was.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree. If we have snow on the ground with the full moon and clear skies, the day time movement is very light since visiblity is so good during the night time hours. On a bright mooned night with snow, we usually get about 10 more minutes of shooting light though. I really haven't paid much attention to the phases, other than full and new moon, but there is a ton of literature on the subject and i think alot of it boils down to whether you believe it or not. With the rut going on, I think that time in teh stand will pay off, no matter what the moon is doing.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 PM

Personally,I really don't care about the moon phase,I just wanna get out in the woods!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

If you got time to go hunting....go. If you don't... then don't. It works every time and you don't have to pack your head full of all that stuff about waxing and waning etc. Besides that, all the waxing and waning can be undone with an extra hunter wandering through, or a change of wind, rain, snow, or just the bow Gods. DOn't worry about it. Go hunting. Treat each day as if IT'S THE ONE and stay alert.