Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Food Source - late season......?? >

Food Source - late season......??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Source - late season......??

Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Food Source - late season......??

You guys/gals possess a LOT of knowledge……and I’m going to the well one more time. In the early bow season around here…..the deer are pretty easy to pattern. I say that……and what I mean is…..its pretty easy to know WHAT they’re eating. We have a LOT of soy bean fields…..and they hit them HARD. Ditto NEW corn (‘til it reaches a certain height). For the past few weeks (2 wks)….they’ve really been on the acorns…..and they’re still hitting the GREEN soy beans. The beans are about to turn completely brown, though.

What’s next? What are they going to be eating when the beans are harvested? Please don’t laugh when I ask this next question…..but do deer eat corn from the stalk? I know they love corn…..but I thought that maybe they ate it from the ground……or after it was harvested (spoils). I’ve never seen one eating corn off the stalk.

I’m trying to figure out where the deer are going to be heading out for dinner in a few weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks….

jeff
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Food Source - late season......??

They will absolutely hit corn on the stalk. Their usual tactic is to knock the vertical stalk over and then tear the corn from the stalk once it's down. However, they will also eat it right there off the standing stalk if they're feeling a little fat and lazy that day.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I've seen them eating it from the stalk, once the stalk was on the ground.....but I never figured out how it got to the ground.

I never made the connection. Thanks, Mr. Obvious. you're a lifesaver.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

OK....I'm still thinking.....

Now what? The corn's been harvested..........ditto the soy beans......now what are they gonna eat???

Jeff
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Atlas's Applies[8D]

Acorn's is a good bet
BeechNuts

A late season food plot is great, but I do not think it gets cold enough in your parts.

Rape seed is great, deer will not touch it until it freezes.

I hit the woods and find where the acorns are, once the corn and soybeans are gone the deer should be there.