Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting with the women >

hunting with the women

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting with the women

Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 AM

Default RE: hunting with the women

Animalized, I couldn't have put it into words any better. I mean, seriously, I could have writtenthe exact same post... Even the part about the rain on the first day.

My first day of hunting was miserable, it was about 45 degrees and raining, but we went anyway, and we sat until 9. Didn't see anything, and I was literally shaking, keep in mind I had borrowed his hunting clothes and used anything to layer that I thought would keep me warm, no experience whatsoever... I didn't have waterproof clothes on and I was shaking uncontrollably. He was thinking that was the end, that my first morning hunting would turn out to be my last *I always hated cold weather, and still do unless I'm hunting*.

He was shocked the next morning when I was dragging HIM out of bed to go! It paid off too, I harvested a very large bodied buck. Unfortunately at some point he had gotten injured or something because his rack was missing, big girth around the "nubs" and an extra point at the very base, but that was it, nothing else.... so I call it my "unicorn". Hubby says that was the largest bodied buck he'd ever dragged (and he has a 9pt and 8 pt.).

He was in the same predicament with hunting partners. He never had consistency, he had friends who "used" him for his hunting right of way. Same situation though, they let him do the work and they'd just grab their guns and go.

We have made so many memories out there and this is only my 4th year. I am in love with the sport and very thankful to him for introducing me to it. We have a lot of fun and we now hunt other game together as well, doves, pheasants, and turkeys... planning on taking a bear hunt in the next few years as well.

As animalized said, you take your wife out there with you and you will make the best hunting partner possible, how can you go wrong with your best friend and life partner by your side?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I consider myself lucky that my fiancee loves to hunt and fish. The only time she gets annoyed with me hunting is when she CAN'T go! I find it really quite amusing listening to her adventures in the stand as it reminds of where it all started. She is seeing things for the very time that she had no idea was possible, and she's like a kid in a toy store telling me about it.
I think she is the reason I still love doing it all so much without ever getting too bogged down in the seriousness of it all. YEAH, I take hunting pretty seriously, and I hunt for big bucks, but she is a reminder of what it's like to be looking for that first kill. I can't wait for the day she gets her first one with a bow......I'll know for sure then I have created a monster.
Others have stated on here that they get a little annoyed with trying to teach the better half, and I admit that I've been there! I don't know what it is, but my woman gets it in her head sometimes that she THINKS she knows more than what she does. I learned an easy way to deal with it though....I let her fall flat on her face to prove herself wrong instead of arguing with her! In truth.....I wouldn't trade our time in the woods together for ANYTHING! Good luck to you all this year and especially the couples enjoying it together.
The REDNECK MILE HIGH CLUB....now THAT is funny!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Try hunting with small children sometime , quiet isn't in their vocabulary .
The last time I took my grandsons out it was their first time squirrel hunting , both were dressed in full camo except for one thing , their shoes . Both had bright white tennies on , the youngest one's shoes were the kind with the twinkling lights that blazed with every step he took ! I did discover that when he walked quietly as he should the pressure wasn't enough to light the shoes , so I turned them into a training aid . He was so intent on keeping the shoes from lighting up that he forgot to talk like he had been near constantly since we arrived . Gotta love those 6 year olds ...