Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Personal assessment of SW PA deer pop. >

Personal assessment of SW PA deer pop.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Personal assessment of SW PA deer pop.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Personal assessment of SW PA deer pop.

As everyone knows, the deer population and changes to seasons and bag limits have cause alot of controversy over the past few years. Hunters have been complaining of a continually diminishing deer population year after year. I too had noticed the same thing for the past 4 years or so.........until now. And i have no idea what has happened here. There have been no recent changes in seasons and bag limits since the complaints began. However, this summer i have seen more deer than i EVER have since I started hunting 10 years ago. What's even weirder, is last year was the year that I have seen the fewest deer. I don't know about the rest of PA but I am speaking of both regions 2A and some of 2C where I hunt.

What's going on here? Are the deer becoming more elusive and able to better hide from the increasing amount of hunters? Or was the winter easy on them last yea and the food plentiful? I am also pleased that out of all these deer I have been seeing, a vast majority (about 40%) are bucks. Thats one hell of alot better than the approx. 10% from when I started hunting.

Anyone else seeing alot of deer this year?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Personal assessment of SW PA deer pop.

Notice the same thing in Northen MI, almost makes me want to go hunt it again[8D]
Old 09-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

that's good--I hunt 2C also-particularly Somerset Co.--Hope to see more deer than last year!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed no difference in the areas I hunt. But from what I've read that's not the same for all WMU's.