Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Newbie

Hello all i am a newbie to bowhunting i am 14 and i have a recurve "go me"
i am hunting from a homeade ground blind i made awhile ago so that the deer would get used to it i stil have some touching up to do which im gonna do tonight. Any tips and or ideas would be helpful

Brandon
Old 09-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Newbie

patience!

#1 problem new hunters have is sitting and waiting for the deer to come or for the right shot. You have many years of hunting ahead of you so just don't rush anything. Enjoy your time in the woods even if you don't harvest anything. Study your game and learn its habits and success will come eventually.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: icedern

patience!

#1 problem new hunters have is sitting and waiting for the deer to come or for the right shot. You have many years of hunting ahead of you so just don't rush anything. Enjoy your time in the woods even if you don't harvest anything. Study your game and learn its habits and success will come eventually.

Good luck!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

if you are going to sit behind your blind make sure you practice shooting from a sitting position or if your going to kneel than practice from thatposition and so on. Have fun and dont take any shot other than a perfect one!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome
Ask questions here and learn from our mistakes.

Since you will be hunting from a ground blind I have a good example for you.
Like everyone here will tell you, you need to practice from the position you will be hunting in the field. I took that advice. Soooo, I set up my pop up blind in my yard and attempted to shoot from a sitting position in my blind.

First: On the first shot the bottom limb of my bow smacked my knee.

Second: Just because you can see your target through the peep and sight doesnt mean that your arrow has a clear path to the target. Instead of the arrow going through the mesh material of the blind it went through the blind itself below the window. The arrow leaves the bow well below your sight line.

Again welcome to the forum

Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Good point DannyD!! I've had my arrow clip many a tree limb after I shot because the arrow takes a completely different line to the intended target than what you see through your peep!

Also, If you want to learn some things about bowhunting, you've found a great resource in this web-site. Start reading through some of the posts and you will find plenty of helpful information to get you on the right track. Most importantly though, respect the land that you hunt, and the game that you pursue, because they deserve that from each of us.

Welcome!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums giveaway
I take it your using dead fall and branchs for your blind if so don't forget to add some leaves and maybe you can add some type of roof .
Make sure your shooting lanes are clear and good luck to ya have a safe and secessful season.