Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Regarding solunar tables/game forecasts….. >

Regarding solunar tables/game forecasts…..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Regarding solunar tables/game forecasts…..

Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Regarding solunar tables/game forecasts…..

I know a lot of you probably rely on these a lot. I’m intrigued. I know a lot of you also live by the theory of…..”I’ll hunt every minute I have time to hunt”. I respect that, too.

But….take this coming Saturday, for instance….

To shake things up a bit….I was going to sleep in…..and then set my climber up a little deeper into the woods than I’ve been hunting….say around 9:00-9:30AM. It’s totally opposite of my regular routine…..so it’s a little exciting. I plan to sit the rest of the day (with a good book). I know there’s nothing wrong with this approach….but I’d really like to get a “little” more scientific with my approach than this. I feel inadequate in my knowledge of solunar tables and their effects on deer movement…..AND…I’m also wondering to what effect these same tables have when weather fronts are moving through. Do the weather fronts trump the solunar tables? I would think so….but I’m admitting I don’t know.

I know…..JUST HUNT!

I find myself intrigued by this, though….and I’d appreciate your feedback.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Regarding solunar tables/game forecasts…..

Jeff... good questions.

Matt / PA turned me on late last year (I think?) to a great book by the Drurys (huge hard-cover, coffee-table type book...) with some awesome pics and their thoughts on subjects like this. I'd highly suggest getting it.

I would definitely think the weather fronts trump all other conditions; both the Drurys and Don Higgins agrees in both of their books. It's obviously been my experience, too.

The Drurys put a lot of stock in a "rising" moon or a "falling" moon... Can't remember what they say about actual solunar tables.

I myself put a lot of stock into the dates November 5-15.... I especially focus on the three or four days leading up to Nov. 11; I don't care what's going on with the rest of the planets! [8D]
Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years, I've been keeping track of deer activity/shots offered that fell with-in the so-called "prime time" according to the moon location. I didn't vary my actual huntingtimes that much unless I had seen that a really good time was just a little earlier than I would go in for an afternoon huntor staying a little later following a morning hunt.

Can't say that it made muuch difference!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Greg/Mo....
So, what's the name of the book you are talking about? It's not very nice of you to get us excited about a book full of good data and pictures and then leave us hanging Where did you get your copy?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of good questions!! I look forward to checking this thread again soon to see some more ideas. I would also say that it's been my findings that incoming weather fronts as well as outgoing weather fronts are good times to be in the woods. I also know that the Drury brothers do talk a lot about a rising moon during the day, and that you can't hardly beat those types of conditions when it comes to seeing whitetail movement. I, like some of you do not know a lot about the solunar tables and such, so I'd like to hear some facts from other members here!!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the one I use

Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Navy... Sorry, I didn't have it in front of me and didn't feel like walking upstairs at the time...

Its title is Giant Whitetails, and I ordered it straight off Barnes & Noble at www.bn.com

As long as I'm giving out information... Here's my favorite website for pre-hunt planning: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

In fact, Mark and Terry talk about it in that book, but I'm going on the record I was using itYEARS before I knew they were! [8D]
Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Spike

Default Greg: can you give an example?

Greg,
Can you give some info on how you interpret this information. Here's the info for my location for today.. what would you take from this??

Thursday
28 September 2006 Central Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:35 a.m.
Sunrise 7:04 a.m.
Sun transit 1:00 p.m.
Sunset 6:56 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:25 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 9:03 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 1:37 p.m.
Moon transit 5:43 p.m.
Moonset 9:46 p.m.
Moonrise 2:39 p.m. on following day

Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Greg: can you give an example?

nbadger, I'll be honest and tell you that the only things I'm really concerned about is when civil twilight begins and ends... I've found those times to be extremely accurate as to when I can or can't see my pins. I backtrack from there to find out when I need to set my alarm. You'll see that "official" sunrise or sunset is always much different than when it's actually light enough to see outside...

I have no idea what "sun transit" means, or "moon transit" for that matter. As I mentioned earlier, the Drurys mention "rising moons" in their book a lot, so I assume that's what the moonrise refers to.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Greg: can you give an example?

Sun and moon transit means that the sun or moon as at it's highest point in the sky at that time. Tomorrow the sun transit for my area is 12:56 so it will be at it's highest point in the sky at that time. Now what that has to do with deer movement, I don't know. But tonight was a rising moon and I didn't see a deer.[:@]