Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blow through

Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Default blow through

after reading the i got the shot now what do i do .i went and looked up a few things .My first Question is you get a good shot why would you have to track any thing. Shoudln't they drop within 75 yards being generous. and this is on a double lung shot that you have to wait an hour to go see . Here is my ? weather five too 30 yards wouldn't it make more sense too shoot for the neck with the compounds that are out today.to shatter and drop the animal and or you have an inch leway on major blood flow if you miss you cn still track. and the animal will die.
now before every body cussess me i am etting into bow hunting this thought is of a rifle hunter who also has too place a shot was just asking oppinions is al and i hope nobody gets fired up
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: blow through

Here is my ? weather five too 30 yards wouldn't it make more sense too shoot for the neck with the compounds that are out today.to shatter and drop the animal and or you have an inch leway on major blood flow if you miss you cn still track. and the animal will die
i hope your kidding, if you could make a lethal neck shot @30 yards i would tip my hat to you, but i don't see it happening, too many things could go wrong. also a double lung shot is useally no problem to follow. i've only been deer hunting for 27 years and i've lost 3 animals 2 with bow and one with buckshot which i don't feel bad about but still wish i had recoverd the animals.

My first Question is you get a good shot why would you have to track any thing. Shoudln't they drop within 75 yards being generous
i'm not sure where you hunt but around here it would be easy to loose sight of one in that distance so traking is the only choice and if you ever shot or killed a deer you'd know they can hide in the most difficult places to find and that tracking is part of it.

maybe you should go fish somewhere else
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 PM

i was saying out to thirty yards lot of guys hit em at ten and spend twenty four hours tracking them makes no sense to me
Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM

oh and also my point would be that if you hit the animal would drop and if you miss it will probly live to be the hunt the next day every body is so shot place ment on here well place the shot so it drops is what i am saying
lol when in doubt stump it
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 PM

well mt i hope to beat your record and lose non
Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

well mt i hope to beat your record and lose non
i hope you beat my record also, i hate to see an animal that is not recovered, but i doubt you'll do it taking neck shots with a bow. btw i don't take neck shots with a rifle either

best of luck though, as for myself i don't mind tracking deer, been doing it for several years and it is not that bad, it also improves my awareness of the outdoors...

best of luck and good hunting
Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 PM

hey thanks mt but i think you are missing my point not sure what it is lol
tha any thng you shoot at being rifle or bow xbow sling shot etc with the anatomy shouldn't one perfect a shot to kill not to let epire don't get me wrong i hope to get up to your skill level some day but wouldn't you agree the neck is the best for hit and miss and not to suffer just asking is all i am trying to learn all i can
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question, and because you are new to bowhunting nobody should be mad. To start off a arrow/broadhead combo will kill an animal by bleeding it out. A animal needs to loose about 1/3 of its blood before death occurs. Yes the neck has a few blood vessels in it but nothing compared to the chest, heart/lung cavity. Remember too, that with an arrow even if you hit it an animal in the spine, it will not smash it and sometimes will not sever the spinal cord. So a neck shot is very, very bad, and more than likley will not kill the animal for days. Your chances of hitting the main artery in the neck are slim to none. Just a matter of an inch or 2. Whereas, your target area in the chest is 6 inches for a deer up to 8-12 in an elk. Now the chest cavity (because of the numerous blood vessels) can and will kill it within minutes, maybe seconds. Arrows also may kill by puncturing the lungs. If both lungs collapse, the flow of oxygenated blood to the brain is halted, the animal becomes unconscious within seconds and dies before it can bleed to death. I don't know where you are from, but with the information that you don't have I would say that it is essential for you to take a bowhunters education class. Education is the key to successful hunting. And you will definately learn more in one class than we can give you all day long on this board. Depending on what state you are from, it might be mandatory before you can be issued a bowhunting license.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:27 PM

i guess the point i am trying tomake make is that prehitoric man didn't have the optian of blow through the native american (<------ lol politicaly correct) - spelling of course. i thnk they al had shot placement and met the objetive you look at some old wall paintings and you will see that they shot through the neck like i said just asking and geting info.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waterfx,
I'm not trying to start a war here. But as I read your answers your logic just doesn't add up. My husband (idahoelkinstructor) and I are bowhunting education instructors. Please don't dismiss our advice as nothing to be learned from. We have years of experience. I have yet to hear a person say, "I wish I would have taken a stupid shot." However, I have heard plenty say that they wish they wouldn't have taken such a stupid shot. If you are serious about bowhunting you have the responsibility of doing it right. The last thing we as hunters need is to have yet another ignorant hunter out there making us look bad. EDUCATE yourself and then you can talk intelligently about the sport.

Quick Reply: blow through

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.